Rose: realigning expectations

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rose: realigning expectations

Post by hawkwing »

As I've thought about it I've realized my expectations for Dave Rose have been out of alignment with reality. Colored by the false Jimmer positives. In reality Dave Rose is a 20-22 wins a season, NIT caliber coach, with the occasional 1 and done in the NCAA tourney.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Re: Rose: realigning expectations

Post by hawkwing »

And I'm okay with that.

UCChris
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by UCChris »

If we would always win teams like Pepperdine, San Diego, and UVU but always lose to Saint Mary's and Gonzaga, I would be okay! All I want is some consistency. I think the "live or die by the 3" offense that BYU has going is far less "cool" than some people think. I hate it. If Rose is going to teach a "live or die by the 3" offense, I don't want him as coach. If he can start teaching some defense and keep BYU third in the WCC then he'll be the Bronco of basketball. Which is boring, but solid.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

UCChris wrote:If we would always win teams like Pepperdine, San Diego, and UVU but always lose to Saint Mary's and Gonzaga, I would be okay! All I want is some consistency. I think the "live or die by the 3" offense that BYU has going is far less "cool" than some people think. I hate it. If Rose is going to teach a "live or die by the 3" offense, I don't want him as coach. If he can start teaching some defense and keep BYU third in the WCC then he'll be the Bronco of basketball. Which is boring, but solid.
It's kind of funny that you say that because it's somewhat the opposite of being the Bronco of basketball.

Bronco brought in good BYU fit guys, who were not the flashy talented guys, but demanded perfect execution and scheme to make up for lack of talent. He emphasized solid defense and demanded accountability. He never lost the games that he shouldn't lose but only rarely won the games he should lose.

Rose brings in flashy talented guys but lets them get away with undisciplined play and wild, church-hero-ball. He emphasis that his players always have the greenlight to shoot and defense is an after thought, if thought of at all. He will beat a Gonzaga every year, but will drop 2 or 3 sub 150 RPI teams every single year.

Opposite problems, but with very similar results. BYU sports in a rut.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Rose is great. He's arguably the best coach BYU has ever head. That said, people can still find themselves in a rut.

I'll draw upon my own professional experience. When starting a new gig, I attack it hard. I put a lot of energy and effort into it. The results, follow. I've noticed, though, after a few years once the routine starts to settle in the foot comes off the gas a bit. Occasionally, a big project or something will come up and I'll hit it with all the energy as before. I think this is a fairly common phenomenon, one that I feel Rose may find himself in.

We're not seeing the same Rose we saw in the first half of his career.

There are a bunch of excuses as to why we're slipping - different conference, change in mission age, lack of a bench, etc. People who are comfortable, people who have settled, lean on the excuses. They are valid excuses, and past success provides a valid defense. I feel like Rose/BYU is leaning on excuses.

There were plenty of excuses when Rose started - limited recruiting pool, the HC, a tough conference, teams that are familiar with BYU, etc. But when he started, we never heard him excuse his performance. Quite the opposite actually. The excuses were challenges to overcome, which he met head on.

As much as it pains me, I think it may be time for Rose and BYU to part ways.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

What I realized was if you take out the Jimmer years then this year was fairly consistent with what Dave Rose will normally bring you.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Other than even before the Jimmer years, Rose was winning the MWC.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

UCChris wrote:If we would always win teams like Pepperdine, San Diego, and UVU but always lose to Saint Mary's and Gonzaga, I would be okay! All I want is some consistency. I think the "live or die by the 3" offense that BYU has going is far less "cool" than some people think. I hate it. If Rose is going to teach a "live or die by the 3" offense, I don't want him as coach. If he can start teaching some defense and keep BYU third in the WCC then he'll be the Bronco of basketball. Which is boring, but solid.
For the most part I agree. I don't want to always lose to any school. I fully agree with the "live or die by the 3" offense being less cool. That is where there is little to no consistency. If 3s are hitting we win. Too often they aren't but they keep hopping they will until the clock runs out. I feel we need more of a whole game approach. I hope Rose can do that. He has been one of, if not the best coach but, there needs to be improvement. I could live without the ncaa but losing the first game of the nit leaves a lot to be desired.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote:As I've thought about it I've realized my expectations for Dave Rose have been out of alignment with reality. Colored by the false Jimmer positives. In reality Dave Rose is a 20-22 wins a season, NIT caliber coach, with the occasional 1 and done in the NCAA tourney.
I completely disagree with this. At one point Rose made the NCAA tourney 6 times in a row. Jimmer was not around for 6 seasons. In fact, Jimmer really only started his last two seasons; his sophomore season he didn't really start games until late into the season. Taking out Jimmer's upperclassmen seasons, Rose has averaged 24.3 wins and made the NCAA tourney 6 out of 10 times (overall he's averaged 25.4 wins and 8/12 tourney appearances).

I know we're not Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA. I know we're a mid-major in basketball. But when I look at Gonzaga, Wichita St. and Butler I think why can't we do that? Is it asking too much to be one of the best mid-majors?

I am NOT ok with a regular NIT appearance and an occasional one-and-done in the NCAA tourney. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect BYU basketball to not miss the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

byufan4ever wrote:
hawkwing wrote:As I've thought about it I've realized my expectations for Dave Rose have been out of alignment with reality. Colored by the false Jimmer positives. In reality Dave Rose is a 20-22 wins a season, NIT caliber coach, with the occasional 1 and done in the NCAA tourney.
I completely disagree with this. At one point Rose made the NCAA tourney 6 times in a row. Jimmer was not around for 6 seasons. In fact, Jimmer really only started his last two seasons; his sophomore season he didn't really start games until late into the season. Taking out Jimmer's upperclassmen seasons, Rose has averaged 24.3 wins and made the NCAA tourney 6 out of 10 times (overall he's averaged 25.4 wins and 8/12 tourney appearances).

I know we're not Duke, Kentucky, or UCLA. I know we're a mid-major in basketball. But when I look at Gonzaga, Wichita St. and Butler I think why can't we do that? Is it asking too much to be one of the best mid-majors?

I am NOT ok with a regular NIT appearance and an occasional one-and-done in the NCAA tourney. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect BYU basketball to not miss the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons.
the transfers out of the program have hurt the depth a lot. Guinn and Beo were supposed to be walkons and Leifson wouldn't have been here at all had eveyrone stayed. Every team needs role players. What I don't agree with is the idea that Rose pushed them all out. That just isn't true. Neilson is the only one that fits that category and for good reason. You only have to read Neilson's own words at the time to understand it. The team Neilson played on at BYU was extremely thin on big men and he wanted to play a soft Euro big style where he played away from the basket and shot a lot of threes. The coaches needed him to develop an inside game, which he refused to do. So he was cut loose. He has since changed his game probably because of the shock of the scholarship loss at BYU and has done at UVU exactly what Coach Pope was trying to get him to do at BYU. Now he's a much better player. The others left on their own because they didn't want to play second fiddle to the guys coming back from missions. Chatman was probably an exception to that with the law school situation.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...