Coach Rose

BYU Cougars on the court.
User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby Brayden Green » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:03 pm

BroncoBot wrote:green, you're gonna have to show me how byu has had difficulty recruiting since wcc. this has to be one of the highest rated teams ever at byu. who was rose recruiting in the mwc that was better than mika, Haws, Emery, even Bryant and Aytes were highly recruited. I, for one don't buy the old "wcc is worse for recruiting because of high school gyms" line. I think recruiting has never been better. At the very least, it's as good as it has ever been for BYU bball. BYU got to play a number one seed 2x this year and beat the number one team in the country. when did ByU do that in MWC? Heck, even Jimmer wasn't highly recruited back in the mwc days. we've lost exactly 2 recruiting battles of significance... parker and jackson. BYU gonna lose those guys 9 out of 10 times if duke or unc or Kentucky offers. it's not due to being in wcc.


The data isn't super great going that far back, but depending on how far back you go we have lost out on more than Parker and Jackson, but you might be new to following the team.

We got passed up on quite a bit when Utah went to the Pac-12. Jared Loveridge was one, and then a few others. Kyle Davis passed us up for Utah State in the MWC before coming to his senses. There is a reason that we haven't had a steady bench for years, and that we don't have any seniors and haven't been senior laden for years. And it isn't because Rose scares them off so that he can get much lesser known junior college talent. That is just stupidity (although I think that he has mismanaged his bench in the past, and I have been vocal about that).

Sure, we are getting young talent. Rose is killing it. We are going to be good for a while. But it took a while to get here, and having a few Jared Loveridge's coming off the bench for serious minutes would have been pretty great.


When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby Brayden Green » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 pm

And for everyone here comparing the MWC *without* us to the WCC *with* us is laughable. You have it exactly backwards.

If you remember the MWC for what it was (some of you are too young), with UNLV, New Mexico, Utah, SDSU, and us all battling against each other, we were easily the 3rd or 4th best conference in the nation. Oh yeah, and we won some of those regular season conference titles and upset some very good teams to do it.

I don't find it a surprise that we go to a new inferior conference and right away we have teams with almost no seniors (or exactly zero in our case this year) and the worst scoring bench in the country. (look it up)


When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby Brayden Green » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
UCChris wrote:All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant.



What a fun 30 total team ppg that will be! Hopefully they play perfect defense and never foul.


Hopefully you are watching your dream team. They aren't good at all. This is why they haven't played all season. We have no bench.


When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

User avatar
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby Brayden Green » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:08 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
UCChris wrote:All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant.



What a fun 30 total team ppg that will be! Hopefully they play perfect defense and never foul.


Hopefully you are watching your dream team. They aren't good at all. This is why they haven't played all season. They flat out suck and aren't worth the minutes, even off the bench. Steven Beo... hahaha. Good call there. :lol:


When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Image

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby BroncoBot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
UCChris wrote:All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant.



What a fun 30 total team ppg that will be! Hopefully they play perfect defense and never foul.


Hopefully you are watching your dream team. They aren't good at all. This is why they haven't played all season. They flat out suck and aren't worth the minutes, even off the bench. Steven Beo... hahaha. Good call there. :lol:

BYU has never had a bench. Not that I can remember.



User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby BroncoBot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 pm

Brayden Green wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:green, you're gonna have to show me how byu has had difficulty recruiting since wcc. this has to be one of the highest rated teams ever at byu. who was rose recruiting in the mwc that was better than mika, Haws, Emery, even Bryant and Aytes were highly recruited. I, for one don't buy the old "wcc is worse for recruiting because of high school gyms" line. I think recruiting has never been better. At the very least, it's as good as it has ever been for BYU bball. BYU got to play a number one seed 2x this year and beat the number one team in the country. when did ByU do that in MWC? Heck, even Jimmer wasn't highly recruited back in the mwc days. we've lost exactly 2 recruiting battles of significance... parker and jackson. BYU gonna lose those guys 9 out of 10 times if duke or unc or Kentucky offers. it's not due to being in wcc.


The data isn't super great going that far back, but depending on how far back you go we have lost out on more than Parker and Jackson, but you might be new to following the team.

We got passed up on quite a bit when Utah went to the Pac-12. Jared Loveridge was one, and then a few others. Kyle Davis passed us up for Utah State in the MWC before coming to his senses. There is a reason that we haven't had a steady bench for years, and that we don't have any seniors and haven't been senior laden for years. And it isn't because Rose scares them off so that he can get much lesser known junior college talent. That is just stupidity (although I think that he has mismanaged his bench in the past, and I have been vocal about that).

Sure, we are getting young talent. Rose is killing it. We are going to be good for a while. But it took a while to get here, and having a few Jared Loveridge's coming off the bench for serious minutes would have been pretty great.

Jared Loveridge was never coming to BYU. Turns out they were a flat out terrible fit. He did fine at the U where he fit in much better.
Kyle Davis DID end up at the Y as you said. I think Morrell being coach there at the time had more to do with his decision than MWC vs WCC.
Anyone else?

Here's my take. BYU's extremely limited in who they can recruit. It's the beos, Leifsons, shaws, guinns that are going to come to byu. Parker and Jackson are not going to go to BYU, probably a smart career move. Wcc is an afterthought. I don't think it's swayed anyone so far. Loveridge and Davis don't convince me otherwise.



User avatar
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Posts: 12499
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby SpiffCoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:57 am

BroncoBot wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
UCChris wrote:All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant.



What a fun 30 total team ppg that will be! Hopefully they play perfect defense and never foul.


Hopefully you are watching your dream team. They aren't good at all. This is why they haven't played all season. They flat out suck and aren't worth the minutes, even off the bench. Steven Beo... hahaha. Good call there. :lol:

BYU has never had a bench. Not that I can remember.

Michael Loyd Jr won an NCAA tourney game by coming off the bench during Jimmer's JR year.


BYU PER W/L Since 1995: 223-40 (.853)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Image

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5397
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby Gunk » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:03 am

SpiffCoug wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
UCChris wrote:All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant.



What a fun 30 total team ppg that will be! Hopefully they play perfect defense and never foul.


Hopefully you are watching your dream team. They aren't good at all. This is why they haven't played all season. They flat out suck and aren't worth the minutes, even off the bench. Steven Beo... hahaha. Good call there. :lol:

BYU has never had a bench. Not that I can remember.

Michael Loyd Jr won an NCAA tourney game by coming off the bench during Jimmer's JR year.

Oh, I forgot about Michael. That guy was fun to watch.


Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Coach Rose

Postby BroncoBot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am

SpiffCoug wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
UCChris wrote:All I can say is that I can't wait until this team is led by Beo, Guinn, Leifson, and Bryant.



What a fun 30 total team ppg that will be! Hopefully they play perfect defense and never foul.


Hopefully you are watching your dream team. They aren't good at all. This is why they haven't played all season. They flat out suck and aren't worth the minutes, even off the bench. Steven Beo... hahaha. Good call there. :lol:

BYU has never had a bench. Not that I can remember.

Michael Loyd Jr won an NCAA tourney game by coming off the bench during Jimmer's JR year.

I'll give you that. Although if BYU's injuries were bench players, we'd have LJ Rose and Kyle Davis coming off the bench. Two guys who would be a big help this year.




Return to “BYU Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest