BYU vs St. Mary's

BYU Cougars on the court.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs St. Mary's

Post by frdbtr »

St Mary's is just a horrible matchup for this young undisciplined team. I am giving this team a semi pass this year but frankly, I am disappointed with the lack of improvement from them this year. They actually look worse now than they did early in the year and that is not good. If this team isn't in the top 25 next year, I will start joining the "we need new coaches" crowd.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Dave Rose said that they played with good effort "for awhile" and then suggested that not being able to practice on Sunday was a factor in the embarrassment.

His seat needs to be warm. Not hot, but uncomfortably warm.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote:Dave Rose said that they played with good effort "for awhile" and then suggested that not being able to practice on Sunday was a factor in the embarrassment.

His seat needs to be warm. Not hot, but uncomfortably warm.
I agree, if this team is not in the top 25 next year, it needs to get hot. We have way too much talent to be losing to St. Mary's by 30.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

BYU has performed better with lesser talent. Something is up, and sadly I think it starts with the coaching staff.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I don't even get the good effort for a while quote. It started out like 9-2 with us scoring only 2 points in like the first five minutes. We sucked from the very get go. And how pathetic is it to say that our play was reflective,of not practicing on Sunday? A Sunday practice would not have saved that crapfest. Rose comes off as a whiner.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Unfortunately the Cougars were unable to pull together and come out on top.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

It sounds like I should be glad that I didn't stay up and watch it.

I was flabbergasted by the score as I woke up this morning and I checked my ESPN AP on my phone. I didn't have my reading glasses on and I kept trying to focus believing that my eyes must be having some major problem with focusing because surely we didn't get beat by 31 points and a team kept us down to scoring only 50. No way!

Slowly, reality settled in and I grabbed my glasses and sure enough, we were run out of the arena. Man! That's not a scenario you want to be in if you want to make it to one of the other tournaments. Worse loss since 2008.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The problem is defense. When BYU struggles to score we get beat, happens every time. The thing we forget about the 2010 team, because Jimmer was scroring 40 all the time, is that team played really good defense. We haven't played defense worth crap since then and it is getting maddening. Until we figure out how to coach and play defense again, we are going to be disappointed like this every year.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Dave Rose is not Dave Rose without Dave Rice.

Rose has struggled to find an adequate replacement down the bench since Rice left for UNLV.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

frdbtr wrote:The problem is defense. When BYU struggles to score we get beat, happens every time. The thing we forget about the 2010 team, because Jimmer was scroring 40 all the time, is that team played really good defense. We haven't played defense worth crap since then and it is getting maddening. Until we figure out how to coach and play defense again, we are going to be disappointed like this every year.
Jimmer did all the scoring. The rest of the team just needed to play defense. We all saw it. Hustle on defense, get back on offense, clear the middle, and watch Jimmer.

Everyone wants to be Jimmer. No one wants to be the "other guys".

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel