NIT Tournament

BYU Cougars on the court.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: NIT Tournament

Post by Mars »

scott715 wrote:We are #3 seed and we play UT-Arlington Wed 7pm ESPN2. Utah is a 3 in a different bracket.
Is that the team that beat St. Mary's?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Mars wrote:
scott715 wrote:We are #3 seed and we play UT-Arlington Wed 7pm ESPN2. Utah is a 3 in a different bracket.
Is that the team that beat St. Mary's?
There are only 2 teams that beat SMC this seaons and the NIT has to throw one of those teams at us.

In can't imagine that the whole BYU/Utah issue wasn't discussed to put them in different brackets. :skeptic:
Last edited by EM_Puma on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm not scared of UT-Arlington having beaten SMC. Gonzaga doesn't frighten BYU and they own SMC like SMC owns us this year.

Just because UTA made for a bad matchup for SMC doesn't mean they'll make a bad matchup for us.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

UTA is a well coached team (coach of the year) and BYU has a habit of getting out coached in big games.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:UTA is a well coached team (coach of the year) and BYU has a habit of getting out coached in big games.
Gonzaga is a well coached team, but we won last time even though it was probably Gonzaga's best team ever. The SMC win is the only good win UTA had all year and it was a game where for no logical reason SMC missed tons of open outside shots they haven't missed in other games. It was just one of those games. This happens a lot more than it does say, in football, which is a sport that is a lot more predictable. I don't think we lose to UTA. Also, not that history determines things, but BYU hasn't lost a game in the NIT in Provo since 1982.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

This is how SMC shot against UTA:

Landale: 3/10
Rahon: 2/7
Hermanson: 2/9
Fitzner: 3/7
Naar: 1/3

All of these guys having a terrible game at the same time? That's just not how they play. But that's what it took for UTA to win by 4 points. SMC had a bad night. I'm sure UTA played fine defense that night, but that doesn't account for all of it.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

UTA presses. I wonder if that gave SMC problems?

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

scott715 wrote:UTA presses. I wonder if that gave SMC problems?
yeah, possibly. Also, Steve Cleveland on BYUSN today suggested that UTA losing their senior starting PG at the very end of the season is probably a huge blow to them. Who knows, but maybe that's why they lost their conference tournament despite being the best team in their league all season.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

BlueK wrote:Also, not that history determines things, but BYU hasn't lost a game in the NIT in Provo since 1982.
I always hate when someone does that.

I loved it, watching a BB game (non-BYU) this season where the foul shooter had not missed in like 40 some shots and the commentator waits until he's done shooting (and making the shots) before he states that fact. He said he just couldn't say it before or he'd jinx him. Funny how a lot of us feel that way. Greg Wrubell does it all the time and it drives me nuts. I 100% know in reality there is nothing about jinxing anything, but dang, I just can't go an do it.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

SpiffCoug wrote:I'm not scared of UT-Arlington having beaten SMC. Gonzaga doesn't frighten BYU and they own SMC like SMC owns us this year.

Just because UTA made for a bad matchup for SMC doesn't mean they'll make a bad matchup for us.
I don't know Scott. Looks like they have a standard good defense as they don't give up tons of points. SMC was definitely at the low end and therefore was probably just an off night by all, but there seems to be a pattern of some good defense in their track record.

vs TXSO W 89-82
@ MINN L 84-67
@ FGCU L 85-72
@ ARK L 71-67
vs SFIL W 88-67
vs MSM W 80-71
@ FOR W 67-63
@ TEX W 72-61
@ UNT W 77-61
vs TXDL W 99-49
@ 12 SMC W 65-51
@ BRAD W 56-51