BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

NIT Tournament

Post by EM_Puma »

http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

You have to love this statement, "This is the official NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets. It was published on Feb. 20, 2017."

Not to be confused with the "unofficial" NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets." You have to watch out. There are so many impostor NYC Bucket lists out there! ;)

They have BYU as a 6th seed playing 3 seed Utah.
Last edited by EM_Puma on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

EM_Puma
Pro

Re: NIT Tournament

Post by EM_Puma »

I can't say that I want to play Utah with this bi-polar team. At the beginning of this season I would have said, "Bring them on!" We were so much more sure of the team we had, but that thought has tumbled.

I'd rather leave the game until next year.

What would you do if this was proposed and the NIT said that we had to go to SLC to play. I'd probably tell them to pound salt, give us a home game or we're going to take all of our fans to another one of the tournaments. I would bet the NIT folks wouldn't even understand how putting us up at the Huntsman would be a major issue in light of the cancelled contract.

Then again too, with the fact that BYU's average attendance this season is higher than UU (14,653 vs 12,523), would they possibly put the game in Provo?

There would just be so much out there to match these two teams up this season that I don't know if either would do it. At least not as the first game for each.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I'm just a "thinkin fool" today. There has been a few articles written this year about how Utah has bypassed the Y and that the gap is growing. Funny thing that is never mentioned, BYU still owns the attendance in both FB and BB. Funny that the gap doesn't mean as much to the Puketah fans that they are getting their butts out to games and while almost 100% of BYU's games are readily available to be seen for both sports on TV, unless you have DISH, there are quite a few still not able to see as many Puketah games.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

EM_Puma wrote:I can't say that I want to play Utah with this bi-polar team. At the beginning of this season I would have said, "Bring them on!" We were so much more sure of the team we had, but that thought has tumbled.

I'd rather leave the game until next year.

What would you do if this was proposed and the NIT said that we had to go to SLC to play. I'd probably tell them to pound salt, give us a home game or we're going to take all of our fans to another one of the tournaments. I would bet the NIT folks wouldn't even understand how putting us up at the Huntsman would be a major issue in light of the cancelled contract.
I would agree. I don't want to play Utah this year due to their cancelling the yearly game and due to that this team is a complete mental mess. Also, it's no guarantee that we make the NIT at all. The Portland game should be a win, the Gonzaga game will be a loss. A one-and-done in the conference tourney (at the quarter-finals stage) could do us in. I'm hoping we get 1 win in the conference tourney. Wow, LOL, how's that for realistic (and much different from the beginning of the season) expectations?
Last edited by byufan4ever on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

I still think the NIT is about money and I still believe a 21-12 BYU team would make it, but what do I know. I can't remember the last time I was worried about even getting an NIT bid--that's how far we have sank this season.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I would love to see a BYU v Utah matchup, simply to see it eat away at coach 80K/20k. Win or lose, it would just be an incredible irony to have this game thrown back in Utah's face.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

EM_Puma wrote:http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

You have to love this statement, "This is the official NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets. It was published on Feb. 20, 2017."

Not to be confused with the "unofficial" NIT Bracketology of the 2017 tournament by NYC Buckets." You have to watch out. There are so many impostor NYC Bucket lists out there! ;)

They have BYU as a 6th seed playing 3 seed Utah.
interesting site, but I've followed it the last few years and this guy's track record with NIT seedings isn't very good. The NIT committee is much harder to get a read on than the NCAA committee. In 2015 he had BYU completly out of the tournament but we got a 3 seed instead.

I also don't think Utah gets a 3 seed. They have fewer top 100 wins than we do, believe it or not. They only have one (USC). BYU has 4 (Princeton, CS Bakersfield, USF twice, with Colorado at #104 just outside the top 100. Utah also has a loss to USF, who we beat twice. Utah also has a loss to #291 Oregon State, who is ranked below any of our losses. True, we do have more outside the top 100 losses, but Utah's case over us if they have one is pretty weak. There certainly isn't a strong case for seeding them 3 spots higher.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

I think both BYU and Utah are in the NIT at this point. Neither has a particularly good case for a home game, maybe borderline 4 seed, IMO. It's possible one could be play the other as a 4 vs. 5, is my guess. BYU overall I think has an edge given that we have more top 100 wins and a stronger non-conference schedule, which is the only part of the schedule a team can control. Remember the NIT is owned by the NCAA now, and so their objectives are similar. They like to reward and punish teams based on their non-conference schedule.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

My prediction is #6 BYU at #3 Texas Tech. If we win, we play at #2 Houston.

Utah will be a #4 seed and host Colorado St. or SDSU, in #1 TCU's bracket.

BYU and Utah wouldn't meet until New York.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Our RPI just jumped 20 spots.