BYU struggling to recognize and keep talent

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU struggling to recognize and keep talent

Post by hawkwing »

In addition to Sno's interesting comments in the Mika is Elite thread I thought I'd start a new comment thread about BYU's struggles to find, recognize, recruit, and keep talent on the court.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU struggling to recognize and keep talent

Post by snoscythe »

Let's not forget losing Zac Seljaas to an unexpected mission--he would have made a big difference this season in spreading the floor.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Both Jordan Chatman and Bartley were not the fault of the coaching staff.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

frdbtr wrote:Both Jordan Chatman and Bartley were not the fault of the coaching staff.
Nothing is.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Both Jordan Chatman and Bartley were not the fault of the coaching staff.
Nothing is.
Jordan Chapman left because BYU would not let him play bb and be in the Law program at the same time, it was widely publicized. Bartley left because he had a surprise mission plan that he did not reveal to the coaching staff. His scholarship was not available because Rose was planning on his mission at a certain time and not when Bartley decided to take it.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Ahh, ya, it's hard to be mad at Rose for the fact the Law school won't let a player play. I'm sure Rose did all he could on his end.

As for Bartley. He told Rose he was going a mission later. Then he decided to go sooner. Now, I think something could have been done for when Bartley returned but at the time Rose had everything accounted for. He would have had to let another player go or simply tell Bartley, we'll see when you come back.

I have no problem criticizing a coaching for things a coaching can control, but Rose doesn't control the Law school or players' mission plans.

There have been other players that have transferred that have been head scratchers. I certainly feel (don't know if it's fact) like the team and players have gotten away from Rose a bit.

We are recruiting more talented players. Players that have other offers. Not kids whose only real option is to play at BYU. These more talented players come with egos and illusions of grandeur. It's a different mold and Rose hasn't figured out how to coach to it, IMO.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

The mission thing wasn't Bartley, it was a couple of years earlier with Damarcus Harrison who transferred to Clemson. Bartley is not LDS. It was a surprise to the coaches that he announced a transfer though. He had been getting plenty of playing time down the stretch that year.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...