Did SMC get better or did BYU get worse?

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Did SMC get better or did BYU get worse?

Post by byufan4ever »

Note to self: lower expectations, don't enjoy the current season, always say next year will be better.

Got it.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

byufan4ever wrote:Note to self: lower expectations, don't enjoy the current season, always say next year will be better.

Got it.
Are those two things mutually exclusive? You cannot enjoy a current season if you think that the team will be better next year?

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

ABYUFAN wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:Note to self: lower expectations, don't enjoy the current season, always say next year will be better.

Got it.
Are those two things mutually exclusive? You cannot enjoy a current season if you think that the team will be better next year?
I guess what I'm trying to say (in a TIC manner) is that I shouldn't care that we're underperforming this current season because next season will always be better! I want to enjoy THIS season. I want the team to perform NOW.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

byufan4ever wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:

Got it.
I guess what I'm trying to say (in a TIC manner) is that I shouldn't care that we're underperforming this current season because next season will always be better! I want to enjoy THIS season. I want the team to perform NOW.
How should our players be performing then? This is my opinion, what's yours?

Mika - ABOVE EXPECTATIONS. can't really ask more of him

Emery - BELOW EXPECTATIONS. Really good at times, a little unpredictable at others, but has improved his defense and seems to be playing better team ball. I would expect more consistency from him as a second year sophomore

Childs - AT OR ABOVE EXPECTATIONS. True Freshman. I think he is doing well for a true freshman. Could be more consistent, but he is still learning the college game.

Haws - AT EXPECTATIONS. Freshman RM. Shows streaks of being amazing, shows signs of being a freshman RM. He is getting better and more consistent. Should we really expect him to be better than he is after a 2 year layoff, playing for the first year in college?

Rose - AT OR BELOW EXPECTATIONS. Transfer senior. New to the program, expected a few hiccups due to unfamiliarity to system. Not sure if we should have expected more from him or not. he was a top 100 recruit, but has not really performed to that level his entire career, so probably performing as expected.

Bryant - BELOW EXPECTATIONS. has been injured the entire season, nothing you can do about that.

Davis - BELOW EXPECTATIOINS due to injury.

Shaw - AT EXPECTATIONS - Good in relief, plays hard, helps the team.

Beo - AT or ABOVE EXPECTATIONS. Wasn't really expecting much out of him, so anything he provides without hurting the team is above expectations.

Kaufusi - Too early to determine

Daystrup - BELOW EXPECTATIONS, but he is still getting his pre mission shape back, so not sure its fair to judge him below expectations yet. He really should be redshirting.

Guinn - AT EXPECTATIONS - I think we have seen him hit his ceiling which isn't very high.

Aytes - AT EXPECTATIONS - shows a little promise, helped out the team early on, seems to be hurt again (as it is becoming to be expected).

Leifson - AT EXPECTATIONS - wasn't really expecting much out of a skinny true freshman. As long as he can come in and not hurt the team he hits expectations.

Where does your thinking differ?

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

With Aytes, I think he was playing well above expectations considering there were very low expectations for him going into the season. He's shown this year when healthy to have something to contribute. Then again, I think I heard he's actually sick right now and not injured, but I could be wrong. I think your evaluations are pretty much right on. I probably expected more out of Haws early on than what was probably fair. But he's showing some great improvement over the last couple of weeks or so.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Got it.
Note to self: realistic expectations always make watching sports more enjoyable. Learn to enjoy the process, allow players who have never played at this level to develop.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BYULV wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:

Got it.

Emery - BELOW EXPECTATIONS. Really good at times, a little unpredictable at others, but has improved his defense and seems to be playing better team ball. I would expect more consistency from him as a second year sophomore

Childs - AT OR ABOVE EXPECTATIONS. True Freshman. I think he is doing well for a true freshman. Could be more consistent, but he is still learning the college game.

Haws - AT EXPECTATIONS. Freshman RM. Shows streaks of being amazing, shows signs of being a freshman RM. He is getting better and more consistent. Should we really expect him to be better than he is after a 2 year layoff, playing for the first year in college?

Rose - AT OR BELOW EXPECTATIONS. Transfer senior. New to the program, expected a few hiccups due to unfamiliarity to system. Not sure if we should have expected more from him or not. he was a top 100 recruit, but has not really performed to that level his entire career, so probably performing as expected.

Bryant - BELOW EXPECTATIONS. has been injured the entire season, nothing you can do about that.

Beo - AT or ABOVE EXPECTATIONS. Wasn't really expecting much out of him, so anything he provides without hurting the team is above expectations.

Daystrup - BELOW EXPECTATIONS, but he is still getting his pre mission shape back, so not sure its fair to judge him below expectations yet. He really should be redshirting.

Guinn - AT EXPECTATIONS - I think we have seen him hit his ceiling which isn't very high.

Aytes - AT EXPECTATIONS - shows a little promise, helped out the team early on, seems to be hurt again (as it is becoming to be expected).

Leifson - AT EXPECTATIONS - wasn't really expecting much out of a skinny true freshman. As long as he can come in and not hurt the team he hits expectations.

I agree with everything except I would say that Childs is above expectations for me. He is starting as a true freshman and playing really well, in fact at times he shows flashes of being brilliant and looks like he could be dominant soon.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BYULV wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:

Got it.

On an individual level you are not far off. However, we are not playing team ball. I don’t know what we’re doing on offense sometimes. Most often it’s a) stand there and survey the defense, b) run around at the top of the key handing the ball off, c) jacking up a shot because there is no real offense, or d) throw it to Mika, which is never a bad idea. Inside/Out is not a bad strategy but our guards cannot hit the three ball this year. Our guards also don’t seem to be able to penetrate on a consistent basis. Our screens are soft and don’t do anything and we can’t beat anyone off the dribble. On the rare occasion that we do drive into the lane and dish for an easy basket I scream for joy and scare the cat.

I really do not hate Coach Rose and I don’t want anyone to get that impression. But I am harder on him than I am the players. Maybe because the players are amateurs whereas Rose is a professional. He’s making a lot of money. I expect a lot. In the business world you need to consistently perform to keep your job. My current company (for just another week and a half!) has been doing significant layoffs the past 5 years and everyone is rated on their last two years of performance. Nothing before that matters. Maybe that’s harsh. But that’s the reality. If we don’t make the tournament two years in a row I’m going to be VERY disappointed.

Right now, do you guys think this team is going to make the tournament? And I don’t really care what happened 50 years ago. Last year we had two of our most talented players ever (stat-wise) and missed the tournament. This year we have the most top-100 recruits in program history…but there’s always next year!!

Now, since I love BYU basketball, I will root for the team and enjoy the season regardless. But again, I stand by my expectations:

NIT early exit = Major disappointment, Rose on the HOT seat
NIT semi-finals = disappointing season
Making the NCAA tournament = Expectation
Win conference title and/or conference tourney = Exceeding expectations
Sweet 16 = Fantastic season

I really don't think that's too harsh.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

frdbtr wrote:

Got it.
Note to self: realistic expectations always make watching sports more enjoyable. Learn to enjoy the process, allow players who have never played at this level to develop.
Point taken. I'm really looking forward to the CBI this year!

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

byufan4ever wrote:
frdbtr wrote:

Got it.
Point taken. I'm really looking forward to the CBI this year!
I don't think you really believe BYU will be in the CBI this year. But just curious, what would be your minimum level of achievement for this BYU team to keep you out of the pissed off zone? For me personally, and in a different sport, I hit that with Gary Crowton. He just flat out made me angry. But my response was to mostly stop paying attention until he was replaced.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...