Vs Weber St

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Vs Weber St

Post by Qman »

This was the best game BYU has played this year IMO. The game was bizarre for us, we played deliberately and put the ball in the post multiple times a possession. Defensively we were better focused on executing a game plan to shutdown Sengilin.

Mika was the first and second option on offense. Next was some else in post or an offensive rebound. The final option was for Haws to try and create by driving or with a pick and role.

LJ Rose just ran the offense. Emery was a defensive role player.

It was the way for us to have the best chance to win.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Vs Weber St

Post by BlueK »

Qman wrote:This was the best game BYU has played this year IMO. The game was bizarre for us, we played deliberately and put the ball in the post multiple times a possession. Defensively we were better focused on executing a game plan to shutdown Sengilin.

Mika was the first and second option on offense. Next was some else in post or an offensive rebound. The final option was for Haws to try and create by driving or with a pick and role.

I think this is a good take. Some will say the opponent wasn't good enough to judge, but I don't think that keeps us from seeing that BYU finally got the formula right for the first time all season. They can improve on it, but they at least finally played the way that will help them get to where they need to be.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU played a 2-6 opponent. We won by 11, but we were favored by 13, and Weber State missed 15 free throws. It was ugly. Gonzaga would have beat them by 40.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Mars wrote:BYU played a 2-6 opponent. We won by 11, but we were favored by 13, and Weber State missed 15 free throws. It was ugly. Gonzaga would have beat them by 40.

Yes, but we are nowhere near Gonzaga yet. We can really only compare ourselves to where we are now compare to where we were and where we need to be. We have a long way to go to be at Gonzaga's level, hopefully we get somewhere close by February.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote:
Qman wrote:This was the best game BYU has played this year IMO. The game was bizarre for us, we played deliberately and put the ball in the post multiple times a possession. Defensively we were better focused on executing a game plan to shutdown Sengilin.

I think this is a good take. Some will say the opponent wasn't good enough to judge, but I don't think that keeps us from seeing that BYU finally got the formula right for the first time all season. They can improve on it, but they at least finally played the way that will help them get to where they need to be.
I agree. I think this was the best game plan the Cougars have played so far this season.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Mars wrote:BYU played a 2-6 opponent. We won by 11, but we were favored by 13, and Weber State missed 15 free throws. It was ugly. Gonzaga would have beat them by 40.
Those are external measurements. I was referring to watching what they were trying to do and seeing that the players seemed for the most part to be trying to play the right way. They need to perfect the approach, but they for once didn't play all over the page or stray from the gameplan like we've seen so far. They will get better. I think we're closer. the 11 vs 13 point spread I don't think is significant. Sagarin would have predicted a 13 point win and actually moved us up a few spots anyway.

Not sure what to make of Weber's problems at the line. Maybe a common way of thinking would be to say it's completely independent of whatever BYU was doing because a player shoots from the line without being defended, so it's entirely on them. But I'm not sure it really works that way. Something got into their heads, and I think a lot had to do with how we wore them down by pounding it inside, similar to how a team in football pounds it on the ground until they have their way with the D by the end of the game. If this game goes five more minutes I think we win by 20. BYU stuck to their gameplan, and that was a good thing.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Here is the USC game PER:
USC.PNG
Here is the Weber St. game PER:
Weber St..PNG
Yeah, Rose had a very deliberate game plan with this one and while it wasn't sexy, it was nice to see the players adhere to it. Mika is just a beast and if he can stay out of foul trouble (and the refs don't call lame fouls on him) then we can beat just about anybody with him alone in the game. I still can't believe how bad we are with the 3 ball. While I never thought we had any Chase Fischer's on this team, I thought going into the season that we had several capable shooters. It would really help Mika to not get double teamed if we could knock down our 3s.

Here is the season summary:
BYU 2016-12-08.PNG

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Great info byufan4ever

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Two things that stood out to me. I thought Yeoli would have had higher PERs and TJ really hasn't been good.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Our guards have been much poorer than expected. Rose isn't a scorer, but it's too tough to have both Haws and Emery in shooting funks at the same time, especially from 3. And Bryant, when healthy, is even worse.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars