Who is the best basketball coach in Utah?

BYU Cougars on the court.

Who's the best basketball coach in Utah?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Mark Pope
55%
Dave Rose
45%
Tim Duryea
No votes
Randy Rahe
No votes

Total votes: 20

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Who is the best basketball coach in Utah?

Post by ABYUFAN »

vancouvercougar wrote:
frdbtr wrote:So Mark Pope is the best coach in the state because of 1 win? That makes sense.
Pope also helped BYU win a bunch of games.
He may end up as the best coach in the state... I just don't see him as there yet.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

ABYUFAN wrote:But how many wins has that team traded for that one win over BYU? The could (should?) have had two PAC 12 wins after the BYU win, but couldn't get it done. Clearly they had that game circled on their calendar and won it - good for them. But shame on them for dropping the Utah and WSU games afterward. Clearly it's Rose, head and shoulders above everybody else, and a bunch of "not there yet" guys.
Fair point, but how many "big" games have we seen Rose lose? How many games get circled and we go on to lose them?

It's certainly too early to tell, but in a head to head match up, Rose lost.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Gunk wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:But how many wins has that team traded for that one win over BYU? The could (should?) have had two PAC 12 wins after the BYU win, but couldn't get it done. Clearly they had that game circled on their calendar and won it - good for them. But shame on them for dropping the Utah and WSU games afterward. Clearly it's Rose, head and shoulders above everybody else, and a bunch of "not there yet" guys.
Fair point, but how many "big" games have we seen Rose lose? How many games get circled and we go on to lose them?

Isn't it head to head Rose won one (last year 85-54) and lost one (this year)... and Pope has less wins now than Rose had in his first season as BYU's head coach... and Rose took over a program that had won only 9 games the season before. Honestly, there is an issue of the recency effect here...but for heaven sakes look at the guy's bio http://byucougars.com/staff/m-basketball/dave-rose. I don't see how this is even a discussion.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

ABYUFAN wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Isn't it head to head Rose won one (last year 85-54) and lost one (this year)... and Pope has less wins now than Rose had in his first season as BYU's head coach... and Rose took over a program that had won only 9 games the season before. Honestly, there is an issue of the recency effect here...but for heaven sakes look at the guy's bio http://byucougars.com/staff/m-basketball/dave-rose. I don't see how this is even a discussion.
It's a discussion because we lost to UVU. Something that should never ever happen. It's also a discussion because Pope did it with a bunch of BYU castaways. Meanwhile, our "all-star" team can barely beat Weber State.

I've been one of Rose's biggest defenders. He's accomplished a lot and I honestly think he was a better coach 5 years ago than he is today. The results certainly seem to indicate such as well. Maybe it's because we don't have Rice? Maybe it's because we're in a more guard heavy conference and our guards don't stack up? I don't know. I do know, the talent has gone up, but the results have gone down. That's coaching.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I'd say going through and surviving one of the deadliest forms of cancer can also change ones priorities, and understandably so.

HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by HoosierCougar »

Nielsen was told to leave... and he dropped 26 on BYU in the head to head. That's nearly double his YTD average after 9 games. He dropped 28 on Utah in a loss. He's motivated at times.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Gunk wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Gunk wrote:

It's a discussion because we lost to UVU. Something that should never ever happen. It's also a discussion because Pope did it with a bunch of BYU castaways. Meanwhile, our "all-star" team can barely beat Weber State.

I've been one of Rose's biggest defenders. He's accomplished a lot and I honestly think he was a better coach 5 years ago than he is today. The results certainly seem to indicate such as well. Maybe it's because we don't have Rice? Maybe it's because we're in a more guard heavy conference and our guards don't stack up? I don't know. I do know, the talent has gone up, but the results have gone down. That's coaching.
I know we're beating a dead horse now and I apologize, but according to this poll the guy who has never not won 20 games as a head coach for years and years is now a worse coach than a guy who has not won 20 games as a head coach... total...because of one game.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

AmmonCougar1 wrote:I can't remember the last time that I honestly felt the our staff outcoached and won a game we should not have won. Maybe Gonzaga on the road last year (or was it two years running now). Outside of that I just don't see Rose doing much with what he has in the sense of preparing them for the game at hand and developing them over the long haul toward the NBA. We sure do fill up the European and other foreign leagues though...
My feelings exactly. I believe that Rose has done wonderfully at recruiting and receives high marks in that regard, but often I see instances where I believe we are out-coached and that someone like Mark Few would do better with the same resources. Rose is definitely good, but I don't believe he'll ever rise to the ranks of those we believe are the best at basketball.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

One is at BYU. Another is at UVU. The resources aren't even close to being equal, thus neither should the game scores.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

UVU keeps losing, including to teams we beat. It was a stupid fluke.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...