Utah State game

BYU Cougars on the court.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Utah State game

Post by BlueK »

Nice game. Solid effort, even on defense.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

So we played a mentally sloppy game for this first 30 minutes. Then we finally settled down and locked it in on D. Good thing we are more talented than they are. We needed all that talent to out rebound them and finally score inside consistently.

The large number of missed defensive assignments was disheartening. Our hustle on the boards was good to see. This team all needs to undergo hypnosis so they can learn what a good shot is.

I never thought I would say this but Shaw came into the game and changed the momentum. He was quick enough to stay close to Moore and tall enough to challenge his shot. He also had 4 offensive rebounds and several tip-ins. He basically never stopped working on the boards.

Emery and Haws need to reinvent themselves as role players/secondary scorers. They aren't good enough to try to force the action.

Guinn plays with great energy and hustle. He made a positive contribution but if he needs to dribble more than once and make a decision look out. He always going too fast for his ball-handling skills.

LJ Rose again was a calming positive influence. He got several important boards and made sure to get the ball into Mika. The 3's he hit in the 2nd half broke USU's defensive scheme.

Mika struggled with USU's doubling defense and the ticky-tack fouls being called. But he got his rhythm in the second half and started to dominate.

Childs scored some important buckets in the paint, but his lack of experience in guarding out on the perimeter earned him some touch fouls. His rebounding was really important too.

Aytes played a few good minutes, but his lack of length/height really impacts our D.

Beo and Leifson made brief bad cameo's.

I hope all our film study was preparing for USC. Otherwise I expect to lose.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I was impressed with the inside game, obviously because the outside game was so poor, but BYU did a good job of keeping going to the inside rather than just settle for outside shots.

Mika did very well, there was a period of time where he was settling for more difficult outside jumpers but he mostly stayed strong inside through the game.

Defense was improved this game, but it also helped that Utah State wasn't hitting every open shot they had like UVU did.

In the end BYU won easily while not being able to hit a 3 point bucket to save their lives, so that is a positive.

AmmonCougar1
Sophomore

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

I wasn't able to watch the game and it looks like, from the box score, that Davis didn't play. What was the reason?

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Injured knee. Not sure how bad it is.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Here's the game PER:
USU.PNG
I said at the beginning of the season that Shaw was my favorite underrated player and look at what he can do! I don't expect him to be an all-conference player, but I like him as a unselfish hard working bench player. You gotta reward players like that!

Season average:
BYU 2016-12-01.PNG

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

About the rebounding...it was obviously a major factor in this game, as it was against UVU in a bad way. We got outrebounded by UVU and it killed us in that game. But last night we turned that around by beating them by 24 on the boards. That's an almost unheard of advantage. Talent differences can't explain that by virtue of the fact that UVU is not massively more talented than USU. It was undoubtedly a major point of emphasis in practice this week and the players got the message. Was it a perfect game? Of course not. Is it realistic to expect a perfect performance in every aspect in November from a less experienced team? No. But in general I liked how it turned out last night. The 14 point win against a decent USU team on a neutral floor is a good result, especially considering the last game. Hopefully they build on that. Winning the game and having a little success on something they obviously worked on in practice is the type of reward that can help them realize how they can improve on other things.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

byufan4ever wrote:Here's the game PER:

USU.PNG

I said at the beginning of the season that Shaw was my favorite underrated player and look at what he can do! I don't expect him to be an all-conference player, but I like him as a unselfish hard working bench player. You gotta reward players like that!

Season average:

BYU 2016-12-01.PNG
Thanks again for posting this. Your key word for Shaw is unselfish. That doesn't always seem to be true for some starting ahead of him. The 3 pt. percentage at 20% should be worked on. If the % is that low they ought to work for better shots. 20% is going to loose some games.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

This was a very good to great rebounding effort. We got an offensive rebound on 23 of our 46 missed shots. And we grabbed a defensive rebound on 32 of the Aggies' 37 missed shots.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

I watched the game on TV, and decided that the BYU /USU neutral court game may be the best college basketball experience known to man. It was fun seeing and hearing only a small part of the competing student sections trying to outdo each other. I laughed at one point in the second half where I could have sworn I heard Bonney Fuller's tweet come to life - but from the BYU student section. I swore that I heard them chanting "You Are Farmers bombity bombity bom bom bom"