Utah State game

BYU Cougars on the court.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah State game

Post by hawkwing »

Utah State is going to come in with the chip on their shoulders that UVU had and they are going to want to give BYU their absolute best shot, but they are a much better team than UVU.

Does BYU have what it takes to right the ship and not get blown out by a far less talented team?

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Utah State game

Post by byufan4ever »

I really hope we win this game, the conference, and sail into the NCAA tournament and in 10 years when Rose is still coaching we look at the bad bad UVU loss as a minor blip on his HOF career. But if we lose and lose bad again, this could get ugly real fast.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

byufan4ever wrote:I really hope we win this game, the conference, and sail into the NCAA tournament and in 10 years when Rose is still coaching we look at the bad bad UVU loss as a minor blip on his HOF career. But if we lose and lose bad again, this could get ugly real fast.

This is a big chance to see how our team responses to a bad selfish loss. We need to see disciplined shot selection, good help D and hustle on the boards. We have more talent so with that kind of effort we should win, but 'playing the right way' is more important for this team.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:Utah State is going to come in with the chip on their shoulders that UVU had and they are going to want to give BYU their absolute best shot, but they are a much better team than UVU.

Does BYU have what it takes to right the ship and not get blown out by a far less talented team?
Maybe BYU comes in with a chip on their shoulder and blows them out? USU has never shown much ability to beat us outside of Logan. That's why their fans think we should play them there every year.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

byufan4ever wrote:I really hope we win this game, the conference, and sail into the NCAA tournament and in 10 years when Rose is still coaching we look at the bad bad UVU loss as a minor blip on his HOF career. But if we lose and lose bad again, this could get ugly real fast.
BYU always does end up righting the ship. I think that's actually sort of a frustrating thing to the few fans who don't like Rose. They never stay down long enough for it to mean he's ever even close to the hot seat.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Qman wrote:

This is a big chance to see how our team responses to a bad selfish loss. We need to see disciplined shot selection, good help D and hustle on the boards. We have more talent so with that kind of effort we should win, but 'playing the right way' is more important for this team.
Selfish play also manifests itself almost all the time on offense, not defense. Defense was where we lost the last game. The offense was reasonably more than enough to win any game.

I think there is a difference between selfish play and players making bad decisions because they really want to win and just do the wrong thing. They overreact on defense and put themselves out of position. They play impatiently on defense and stop trusting what they were taught to do in practice. That was more the problem than selfishness, IMO.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BlueK, you actually just described Defensive selfishness. Not attending to assignments or hustling or losing focus is a lot about selfishness and it could be as easy as wanting to be the first down to score the points.
My biggest complaints about individuals start with--
1.Elijah Bryant's outright selfishness On offense, that hasn't been even remotely earned.
2.Davis' chronic slow start on defense and sporadic D after that, that usually just looks lazy and in-athletic.
3. Emerys indiscrimate shots, even tho he has earned trust last year and proved again why we need him to sometimes be selfish when nothing else is happening.
But still a problem. Particularly ng to own 'this team and squander and quibble with one of his best assists--LJ.

As for USU. I would say they are not a better UVU. And I predict UVU beats Utah and if they play USU, will beat them as well. They may be the best team in the state. Judging them merely by their RPI, which of course would be low based on a lot of bad years, is myopic. This wasn't just a team that got lucky and totally hot. They aren't world beaters but vastly improved over last year.
And maybe they''re greatest asset is their UNSELFISHNESS mixed with a chip on their shoulder.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Cougs_Rule wrote:BlueK, you actually just described Defensive selfishness. Not attending to assignments or hustling or losing focus is a lot about selfishness and it could be as easy as wanting to be the first down to score the points.
My biggest complaints about individuals start with--
1.Elijah Bryant's outright selfishness On offense, that hasn't been even remotely earned.
2.Davis' chronic slow start on defense and sporadic D after that, that usually just looks lazy and in-athletic.
3. Emerys indiscrimate shots, even tho he has earned trust last year and proved again why we need him to sometimes be selfish when nothing else is happening.
But still a problem. Particularly ng to own 'this team and squander and quibble with one of his best assists--LJ.

As for USU. I would say they are not a better UVU. And I predict UVU beats Utah and if they play USU, will beat them as well. They may be the best team in the state. Judging them merely by their RPI, which of course would be low based on a lot of bad years, is myopic. This wasn't just a team that got lucky and totally hot. They aren't world beaters but vastly improved over last year.
And maybe they''re greatest asset is their UNSELFISHNESS mixed with a chip on their shoulder.
I agree the signs right now are pointing to the idea that UVU may actually be a good team.

gingi
Recruit

The new "Dangerous" team in Utah?

Post by gingi »

Does anyone else see the next team that is "Too Dangerous" for the Utes to play? How much time does Coach K have to exit this one? Does he have enough money?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

But are they Michael Jackson Dangerous?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr9uliNQwNA

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT