vs UVU

BYU Cougars on the court.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: vs UVU

Post by snoscythe »

We didn't land Frank Jackson like Rose intended, so why are we keeping Lewis around as a nominal defensive coach?

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Sammich wrote:
UCChris wrote:
Matty-B wrote:I almost hope there is a knee jerk reaction firing coming. BYU should never ever ever lose to friggen UVU. That's terrible.
Who would BYU fire?

BYU has been bad on defense for several years now. When there's a problem for a long time it's on the head coach.

So, you want to fire Rose?
BYU had great defense while Rice was here. We just haven't found someone who can light a fire or teach defense, whichever of the two we're failing at (hard to tell, sometimes looks like both).
Rice was in charge of the offense. Nashif coached the defense back then.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

BlueK wrote:
Sammich wrote:
UCChris wrote:
Matty-B wrote:I almost hope there is a knee jerk reaction firing coming. BYU should never ever ever lose to friggen UVU. That's terrible.
Who would BYU fire?

BYU has been bad on defense for several years now. When there's a problem for a long time it's on the head coach.

BYU had great defense while Rice was here. We just haven't found someone who can light a fire or teach defense, whichever of the two we're failing at (hard to tell, sometimes looks like both).
Maybe thats the answer then, switch Nashif back to defense.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

BYULV wrote:
BlueK wrote:
Sammich wrote:
UCChris wrote:
Who would BYU fire?

Maybe thats the answer then, switch Nashif back to defense.
The offense has been pretty darn good since he's been in charge of it. Maybe he should be the head coach. Ironically he seems to be a lightning rod with some of BYU's internet fans who the best I can tell it must be because of his height or the funny glasses, because every assignment he's had on the staff seems to have gone pretty well.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

I'm not even halfway attempting to suggest it wasn't awful to lose this game, but UVU is currently #19 on the rpi with a 3-1 record. They play at Washington State tonight who is 2-4 with losses to teams like San Jose State and Loyola Chicago. Don't be surprised if UVU wins again. The computer formulas are now starting to make them look like they could win their league. It's not exactly a tough league (WAC).

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

If BYU wins tonight I'm not abandoning hope for the season. This isn't football where one loss means season is over. But BYU is going to have to figure it out quickly and turn around wins against USU tonight obviously, but also against teams coming up like USC and Colorado. I think they are good enough. Rose said they lost composure. Many of us here said they expected some letdowns based on the youth of the team. Few expected that to come out against UVU, but it's already looking like UVU might be a pretty decent, and even a tournament team given that the WAC seems winnable for them. As of today at least, their RPI isn't a black mark just yet. As long as they're in the top 100 it won't matter. RPI forecast now expects them to come in just outside of that. It is possible for a game this early in the year to be a wakeup call that helps a team focus on what they're being taught in practice.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BlueK wrote:I'm not even halfway attempting to suggest it wasn't awful to lose this game, but UVU is currently #19 on the rpi with a 3-1 record. They play at Washington State tonight who is 2-4 with losses to teams like San Jose State and Loyola Chicago. Don't be surprised if UVU wins again. The computer formulas are now starting to make them look like they could win their league. It's not exactly a tough league (WAC).
UVU lost.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars