Valpo vs BYU

BYU Cougars on the court.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Valpo vs BYU

Post by frdbtr »

That was seriously one of the most one sided officiated games I have ever seen. BYU played most of the game without its best players because the Ref's simply fouled them off the court. And after all that, BYU still had a chance to win at the end.

trom2foot3
Recruit

Re: Valpo vs BYU

Post by trom2foot3 »

I think it's because they picked up the refs at the closest bar. It's Vegas, the refs had to be drunk before going to the game tonight.
But seriously, I've never seen refs so involved in a game before. Neither team won that game, the refs won that game

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Should have won that game by 10+. Was a horrible game and not entertaining at all. BYU had 48 fouls. 48! That's not basketball.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
trom2foot3
Recruit

Post by trom2foot3 »

Was it really that high?!?!? Yeah... Those refs need to lose their jobs.

tmoney35
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by tmoney35 »

Last couple games, commentators have talked about new emphasis that refs have when it comes to contact. I really don't like it. Way too many fouls called on both teams (amazingly, we actually had two MORE FTs than Valpo). Brings the game tempo down to a crawl too often.

As far as this game is concerned...frustrating loss, but hopefully a good learning experience for the guys. We certainly had our chances. Credit Valpo for exploiting our youth in the second half to keep momentum on their side most of the game after BYU went up early.

I also loved how BYU kept coming back. There were multiple times when Valpo would go on up 6-8 points and it looked like the game was on the cusp of getting out hand. Each time we'd come back and tie it up again.

Can't wait for the next game! It pains me that we couldn't pull this one off, but this is an exciting team to watch with a high ceiling if they keep improving.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

new emphasis will turn the ncaa into a pro style game, which is hard to watch. I much prefer hard nose defense ncaa games (and prefer to play in those types of games).

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Stat of the game from GWrubell
valpo - 22 points from byu's 13 TOs
byu 11 points from valpos 15 tos.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:Stat of the game from GWrubell
valpo - 22 points from byu's 13 TOs
byu 11 points from valpos 15 tos.
This is a telling stat. It shows that BYU's talent was sitting on the bench while Valpo's talent was on the floor. If BYU had had Mika, Davies and Childs available during those turnovers, that stat might have looked a bit different. All 3 of those players were off the floor after 5 minutes into the first half and Mika was off the floor another 2 minutes into the second. There were a bunch of ticky tack calls on Mika that were not called on the other end of the floor. I couldn't believe how many times there was a phantom call on BYU on one end during a valpo drive and then BYU's guards get mauled going to the hole on the other end and no whistle. I usually don't blame the refs for a loss but this one was flat out too obvious. I was starting to feel like this was a pac 12 road game.

trom2foot3
Recruit

Post by trom2foot3 »

I don't usually blame the refs for blowing a game, but when I do, it's when they call 48 fouls in one game

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Ref's were bad and Valpo is the best team we have played. But in IMO most of the foul trouble was a sign of our inexperience and inability to adjust our play on the fly. Also we had a large number of unforced turnovers. If we played a little more disciplined, then we would have won.

To my recollection 3 of Mika's fouls were stupid over the back plays. Valpo was focused on boxing him out and he didn't adjust. Also he just missed some looks he normally makes around the hoop. Without him we lost our offensive focus.

Rose played a bad game. I don't know why he, Bryant and Emery seemed to break off the offense all the time. Their freelancing was not producing.

Haws was out best player IMO this game. His 3 pt shot was going and he had some great drives. The angles I saw on his technical didn't look like an elbow to me. More like a shoulder bump.

Davis played very good but we needed him to be great and to make a couple of more plays.

Guinn gave us some positive energy an his some open 3's.

Aytes was okay while Mika was in foul trouble. Dastrup even provided some energy off the bench.

This team needs to reign in all the crazy shots and drives. Run the offense through the post and hit our open 3 point shooters. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb