Alabama or Valparaiso

BYU Cougars on the court.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Alabama or Valparaiso

Post by Gunk »

We've played powder-puffs thus far in the season. Wednesday night will be are first game against an opponent that can beat us.

We'll play the winner of Alabama vs Valparaiso - both teams went to the NIT last year. Alabama lost in the first round of the NIT to Creighton and Valparaiso, as we know, went to the finals after beating us.

In the 1st ten minutes, Valparaiso came out hot hitting their first 5. Alabama came out cold. There is still plenty of game left, but I'm betting Alabama wins this one. Valparaiso is turning the ball over a bunch, giving Alabama some fast breaks and they, like us, get up court. Our guards will have trouble defending.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Re: Alabama or Valparaiso

Post by Gunk »

I was wrong. Valparaiso won. Looks like we get a rematch. Was a low scoring game, 66 to 60. We're going to have to watch Peters. Will be a good game. We win this one and my hopes for an epic season will start to creep up.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

Oh it would have been fun to beat Alabama, but it's not disappointing to have a rematch opportunity with Valpo.

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

Princeton was supposed to be a pretty good team. Granted, they lost their next game, but they did have everyone back from a team that won almost all their games last year. Valpo is probably a little better, and their win last night against Alabama is a good one for them, as Bama was ranked pretty close to them on most of the different computer ranking systems out there. This will be a pretty good win for us if we can get it. I think we've improved more than they have since last year.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

A quick look at the matchups:

Peters is a 6'9" 235 combo forward-He will probably matchup with Davis to start. Davis struggled to guard him last year. So Childs may have to step up. Or maybe Davis has learned to be smarter.

Hammink is a 6'7" 210 lb forward that might be a real matchup problem for us. If Bryant was healthy he might be our best matchup. Or Guinn will have to step up. Or we will have to play zone. Or maybe LJ Rose is superman on D.

On the flip side they don't have anyone to handle Mika. Their starting center is Adeyoka a 6'7" 235 lb senior. So I expect they will go zone or double down on Mika. If Mika is making the right pass, I hope we get Haws and Emery going from 3.

Mika needs to stay out of foul trouble for this game and we need to slap Emery and Haws until they stop taking terrible shots. But I feel pretty good about of chances.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Between Mika and Davis down low, we should be able to control the post.

Peters will stretch Davis on defense. Peters can shoot and post up a bit. His turnaround is killer. We'll probably have to throw a couple different bodies at him.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Additionally, Rick Schmidts, kid may get some time. He is 7'2" freshman. Would like to see how Mika handles his length, however, Schmidts is still pretty young and raw and shouldn't be ready for Mika. he will likely be pretty good down the road though.

If we control Peters (who is very good), we will win this game.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Ken Pomeroy current national rankings, adjusted for SOS:

Defense:
BYU 40th, Valpo 63rd

Offense:
BYU 45Th, Valpo 105th.

End of last season:

Defense:
BYU 69th, Valpo 8th

Offense:
BYU 48Th, Valpo 124th.

BYU appears to have improved well on defense, slight improvement on offense. But keep in mind these numbers are adjusted by SOS, and last year's SOS was way better as a whole then the first four games of this year. So actually, it's quite possible we've improved quite a bit more than is currently being reflected in here, but we'll have to see as the competition improves.

In the game last year against Valpo they beat us by 2 points in the NIT semifinal. From looking at the stats from that game, our defense was ok but our offense was terrible, which would seem to go along with having faced a really good defense that night The numbers this year seem to indicate Valpo is not as strong defensively.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Valpo played good defense against Alabama, but really benefited from Bama's inabililty to shoot. Bama had some really athletic guys, but no one could get to the basket and finish or make open shots. Granted, some of that was due to Valpo's defense, but more of it was just Alabama not having a go to guy or two.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

How we looking? Unfortunately, I can't watch it. Score looks good.