Vs Coastal Carolina

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Vs Coastal Carolina

Post by Qman »

Coast Carolina was a good step up in competition for BYU. They had enough athletic ability and size inside to hold their own on the boards and defensively in the paint. Which forced the ball back out to our guards--they were up to the challenge.

Davis had his best game. He came out with focus and energy on both ends. Childs struggled a little in the 2nd half with how to rotate over to cut off driver at the right time to limit the passing window to his own man. Davis came in and cleaned that up.

Mika was merely very good tonight--which is a bit of a let down after he had dominated the paint his minutes in the previous games.

Emery started on their best perimeter player again. When he went out Rose got the assignment. In general the only defender we need to hide on D is Haws. It is a wonderful thing to be able to play effective man defense. His shot selection was mostly disciplined.

Haws had a bad shooting game. But he didn't let it ruin his night. He found ways to draw fouls and setup his teammates.

Rose is still a stud- He just doesn't make many mistakes and can take what ever the D is giving up. Note the 'Lone Peak 3' have great chemistry and find each other in stride for plays. Rose does similar things without the years of playing together.

Bryant is still finding his way into this offense and with his teammates. I don't think he can recognize what is a good shot for him. He also isn't used to not being the best option to score. Defensively his size and quickness give us a good added dimension. He missed a lot of open 3's tonight. His shooting stroke looks okay to me and his free throws look pure. I think his shooting will come around. Oh and his flashes into the post were very good. He got 3 easy buckets that way.

Childs didn't play bad- just not as good. He made a great cross court pass out of the post. He needs his rough edges polished but he is very good right now.

Aytes got quite a few minutes and did some good things in running the offense and rotating on D. He is so short he would box out and get rebounded right over the top. Hopefully we can hang on until Kaufusi gets up to speed after football.

Leifson still just looks lost out there. Beo didn't play that I remember. Guinn hit a couple shots. As long has he doesn't need to dribble or make a tough pass he looks okay.

Overall we are going to be pretty good.
Last edited by Qman on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Vs Coastal Carolina

Post by Gunk »

This schedule is good for our guys. Getting them used to each other against adequate competition as opposed to throwing them into the deep end. We'll be rolling soon enough.

Love seeing the man defense. And the passing to open bigs underneath is a thing of beauty.

My only main concern at this point is Dastrup needs a new haircut.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Here is the game PER:
Coastal Carolina.PNG
Rose with first non-Mika Player of the Game this season! 9 Ast to 3 TO and as a team 24 Ast to 12 TO and 24 Ast on 33 FG.

And the season ave:
BYU 2016-11-20.PNG

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I'm loving the inside game this year. We're not shooting the 3 this year like in years' past and I am totally okay with that. As opponents suck into the middle in an effort to contain our bigs we'll get a ton of open looks from the 3. I'd much rather have that then us forcing bad 3s because there just isn't another option.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel