Vs Coppin St

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Vs Coppin St

Post by Qman »

Glad to finally have another game... I have missed being able to watch BYU basketball.

Coppin St isn't very good. They had some excellent slashers but didn't have the shooters to space the floor or the bodies to rebound the ball.

IMO our best players in order:

1. Mika played limited minutes but still is our best overall player. He controls the paint and boards on both ends and bends opponent's defensive schemes into opening for everyone else.

2. Don't underestimate LJ Rose's contributions. He rarely shoots but he is a calming influence on offensive that makes quick good decisions. On defense watch him off the ball; he is constantly playing the angles and giving help that cover up our many, many mistakes. With his size in strength and can rotate down to cover up a big until our guy can recover. But he can also make it out shooters. I honestly only remember his making a single mistake.

3. Emery is a very good, complete shooting guard. If he was bigger he would have a chance at the NBA. Emery had the primary assignment to guard their leading scorer and he kept him out of the paint (with help) most of the night. Also his shot selection was much, much better tonight. He only took 3's with his feet set and looked to drive more.

4. TJ Haws is best overall scorer. I think he might be the best 3pt shooter too. He also showed his inexperience tonight with Coppin St. quickness. Defensively his BBIQ and quickness is good. But usually can't finish the plays off and gets out muscled.

5. Childs is still raw and mistake prone. But he is a monster on the boards and positive on D with all the ground he covers. He can finish around the hoop and is an unselfish passer. IMO it is only a matter of time before he is playing more minutes than Davis.

6. Bryant flashed some great ball-handling and slashing skills tonight. And once he gets a edge with his ball handling he has the strength to bull his way into the lane. He still needs to improve his 3 pt shot and his defense needs more polishing. But if his next game show as much improvement as this one Coach Rose will have a real dilemma playing time.

7. Davis... what to say about Davis. He is still a decent rebounder and at least some of shotblocker. Defensively he just seems slow. Offensively he want to occupy the same spots as Mika. He also makes too many mistakes for a Senior. He doesn't seem to anticipate double teams coming and he can get muscled out of position. And most importantly how does he miss so many shots around the hoop?

8. Beo the next best player IMO but we have a pretty full guard line-- especially at PG. He missed all of his shots tonight but his combination of shooting, ball handling and size/strength will be really useful in future. He is a freshman so me makes mistakes but I love his triple threat of drive/shoot/pass. Defensively he needs to get mentally quicker and more aggressive with his feet.

I don't feel like ranking everyone else.

Aytes is better than last year but he is still a Center in a slow short PF body. He is a good last ditch option as a post defender with his strength.

Shaw is a Center in a stretch 4's body. Against teams who won't box him out and don't have post-up threats-- he can be effective.

Frampton isn't a D1 athlete.

Guinn slightly above average athletic ability cannot compensate for his rudimentary ball-handling.

Leifson battled a little on D but he still can't find his shot (and make it) in a real game.

Dastrup looked more comfortable and skilled tonight. I can see his offensively game. On the boards and defensively, he desperately needs to improve his strength and conditioning. He might be able to give us some good minutes if Mika is in foul trouble against the right matchup.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Vs Coppin St

Post by Gunk »

Was a fun game. I know Coppin isn't much to go off of, but overall we looked good out there. We've got ourselves a legit squad.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Here is the game PER:
Coppin St..PNG
We dominated the boards and I think they said Child's 12 defensive rebounds are a BYU freshman record. Still, I'd like to see our team assist to turnover ratio improved. 20-22 is not very good. I would really like to see Rose (5-1) and Bryant (3-3) lead in this area and Rose did well. That should be their primary focus because we have enough scorers on this team.

Here is the short season summary so far:
BYU 2016-11-18.PNG
BYU 2016-11-18.PNG (19.81 KiB) Viewed 535 times

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Our bigs coughed up the ball a lot and there were a lot of bad passes, trying to thread the ball through a needle. Bigs need to worry less about putting the ball on the floor.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel