Childs Play

BYU Cougars on the court.
HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Childs Play

Post by HoosierCougar »

I'm stuck in a hotel tonight, but it has BYUtv so I get to watch the game tonight.

I know it's early and it's Coppin State, but I'm impressed with Yoeli Childs.

Energy, athleticism, aggression, talent.

Not sure he can be an effective 3 (where i'd see him play in the NBA), but he'll make some waves as a collegiate 4. Does BYU have a better front court than Mika and Childs? Kaufsi and Dastrup baking them up. Davis will get more PT, but I'm not sure he deserves it.

I recall a game at the end of last year (maybe in the NIT) where KD was ineffective and sat down for a while. He came back in and played like a man possessed. I said to Mrs HC, "I wonder whether some coach said to him 'You better pull it out or you're going to find yourself on the pine next year!'"

Again, it's early... lots to see and lots to learn and lots better talent to play against. Just my $0.02.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Childs Play

Post by Qman »

It all depends if Childs can grow an inch or two over his time at BYU. An athletic 6'9" guy can play PF in NBA.

And yes IMO Childs is playing better than Davis. I would be considering starting him.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Childs Play

Post by Cougs_Rule »

KD started slow and lazy on D vs Princeton. He can't suffer Fromm both and continue to start over Yoelli. What he can control is effort. KD has to bring it. He got blocked by a smaller dude yesterday at the rim when he should have dunked it or at least gone hard. I think he thinks his length can compensate for effort and footwork. Great kid, clearly, but he needs to bring it every night. And he does miss too many shots at the rim.
Yoeli is a man-Child's. I wouldn't be surprised to see him come off the bench with Elijah as a strong six and seventh man. YC has big upside.