Princeton Game

BYU Cougars on the court.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Princeton Game

Post by BlueK »

A few are commenting about Princeton missing open shots last night. That was true, but one thing to consider there is that they seemed to try to work really hard on defense. Our offense wore them out which usually means tired legs. And tired legs leads to missing outside shots. BYU's defense was ok. Statistically it was actually good. KenPom raised BYU's defense ranking after last night to 57 after opening us at 69. Theoretically maybe it had some holes in it, but but you also have to analyze a game in its whole. Our offense had a lot to do with wearing out Princeton's offense because of how hard we made a normally good defense of theirs have to work.

Also, compare the opening game last night with the one last year against LBSU. No comparison. BYU was way better last night than in that first game last year. That bodes well. In general Princeton is also a better team than LBS was, although not as quick or athletic.

I think this is a game last year's team would have lost.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Yes, the team looked much better in this year's opener. I was a little concerned about defense based on the preseason games, but the tight rotation proved that a core team can play adequate defense.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

If Mika is consistent on that 10-ft jumper and his hitting his FTs like last night, teams are in real trouble.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

hawkwing wrote:Yes, the team looked much better in this year's opener. I was a little concerned about defense based on the preseason games, but the tight rotation proved that a core team can play adequate defense.

Going into the season I was hopeful that Mika had learned to foul less and that Childs would be the mobile 4 we never had. With those two on the floor we are a quick team defensively.

The big question marks were what would Rose and Bryant give us. Rose showed savvy and athletic tools. Bryant mostly just showed some athletic tools. I hope the BBIQ will come quickly.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

I didn't catch game. Only saw highlights. Am I correct in my observation that Princeton got some good open looks from behind the arc. The seemed to drive a lot, which would explain us collapsing.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

To me the biggest question is whether Mika hits a post-mission wall during conference play or not.

Luckily we get Kaufusi back for conference to provide an extra big body (and some extra extra-hard fouls on Karnowski) to spell Mika a bit more.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Gunk wrote:I didn't catch game. Only saw highlights. Am I correct in my observation that Princeton got some good open looks from behind the arc. The seemed to drive a lot, which would explain us collapsing.
Part of that was BYU's strategy. They run the "Princeton" offense which means what they really want to do is trick the defense into allowing backdoor cuts and layups. To close that off it's hard not to allow some open looks from three. You'd rather give that up over the easier shot.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

BlueK wrote:
Gunk wrote:I didn't catch game. Only saw highlights. Am I correct in my observation that Princeton got some good open looks from behind the arc. The seemed to drive a lot, which would explain us collapsing.
Part of that was BYU's strategy. They run the "Princeton" offense which means what they really want to do is trick the defense into allowing backdoor cuts and layups. To close that off it's hard not to allow some open looks from three. You'd rather give that up over the easier shot.
We were also somewhat fortunate that Princeton did not really hit a high % of 3s like teams seem prone to do against our perimeter defense. Overall, I thought the team looks pretty dang good. Hard not to be excited to watch the team gel and improve together.