2016-2017 Stats

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

2016-2017 Stats

Post by byufan4ever »

Basketball season is here and I'll do my Player Efficiency Rating (PER) for each game! With tonight's tipoff here are some stats to get us started!

PER from the last 10 seasons
BYU PER History.PNG
BYU PER History.PNG (13.79 KiB) Viewed 771 times
PER from the Seattle-Pacific game
Seattle-Pacific.PNG
PER from the BYU-H game
BYU-H.PNG
I will not count these exhibition games towards the season numbers. They're just here for fun.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Re: 2016-2017 Stats

Post by Mars »

Who are the starters?

Based on early stats, it should be something like Haws, Mika, Rose, Davis, Emery, with Shaw/Childs/Beo being the prime bench.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:Who are the starters?

Based on early stats, it should be something like Haws, Mika, Rose, Davis, Emery, with Shaw/Childs/Beo being the prime bench.
That's how I'd set it up.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Bryant will be in the rotation. Hasn't shown up much in the stats yet due to coming off the injury.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BlueK wrote:

Bryant will be in the rotation. Hasn't shown up much in the stats yet due to coming off the injury.
Well, he did play vs BYU-H but performed poorly, which may be partly due to still recovering from his injury. But yes, I expect he will be in the rotation.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

If I've read you right both Haws and Mika have exceeded Collinsworth's best per (25.79) from last year. Haws had 32.75 against Seattle-Pacific although it was an exhibition game. Mika had 27 aginst S-P and 38.5 against Princton. Since you have been keeping this record has anyone had a higher per than 38.5? It's way too early to tell but things are looking good for this year.

As always, I appreciate you posting this.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

nuk13 wrote:If I've read you right both Haws and Mika have exceeded Collinsworth's best per (25.79) from last year. Haws had 32.75 against Seattle-Pacific although it was an exhibition game. Mika had 27 aginst S-P and 38.5 against Princton. Since you have been keeping this record has anyone had a higher per than 38.5? It's way too early to tell but things are looking good for this year.

Also, keep in mind that you're comparing one game against a season average. That 25.79 from Collinsworth was his average last season. Haws and Mika are not going to have PERs that high every single game.

Single game PERs higher than 38.5
Collinsworth 15/16 41.5 vs Belmont
Chase Fischer 15/16 42.75 vs New Mexico
Collinsworth 15/16 39.25 vs Santa Clara
Collinsworth 15/16 44.75 vs LMU
Emery 15/16 41.5 vs SF
Collinsworth 15/16 47.5 vs Portland

That's just last season. I only have detailed game by game stats starting the season after Jimmer. However, I remember at one time compiling the game by game for Jimmer's senior year, but I can't find the file.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

byufan4ever wrote:
nuk13 wrote:If I've read you right both Haws and Mika have exceeded Collinsworth's best per (25.79) from last year. Haws had 32.75 against Seattle-Pacific although it was an exhibition game. Mika had 27 aginst S-P and 38.5 against Princton. Since you have been keeping this record has anyone had a higher per than 38.5? It's way too early to tell but things are looking good for this year.

Also, keep in mind that you're comparing one game against a season average. That 25.79 from Collinsworth was his average last season. Haws and Mika are not going to have PERs that high every single game.

Single game PERs higher than 38.5
Collinsworth 15/16 41.5 vs Belmont
Chase Fischer 15/16 42.75 vs New Mexico
Collinsworth 15/16 39.25 vs Santa Clara
Collinsworth 15/16 44.75 vs LMU
Emery 15/16 41.5 vs SF
Collinsworth 15/16 47.5 vs Portland

That's just last season. I only have detailed game by game stats starting the season after Jimmer. However, I remember at one time compiling the game by game for Jimmer's senior year, but I can't find the file.
So the best per was the best average for the year. Thanks for clarifying that. It had my optimism soaring a little too high. None the less I am still optimistic. More important than individual per's is how well they perform as a team. That could be better than we've seen for a while.