BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Vs Seattle Pacific

Post by Qman »

Just a few thoughts on this game:

Seattle Pacific was clearly the physically stronger team and had some very good players. Miller, an athletic 4, really killed us.

Haws was awesome on offense this game. He made several high level drives,passes and difficult pull-up jumpers. He seems to have good speed, a good handle and a good change of pace. He can really score the ball and shoot. Honestly he plays a little like Steph Curry without as much range. He was the driving force of our offense and it felt like he was playing chess while everyone else played checkers. Now for the bad, he was little wild with the ball but his gamble paid off against this level of competition. Against Gonzaga, etc. it might look different. Also he got completely blown by 4 times that I noticed. Which contributed to the foul trouble for the bigs.

Mika was awesome as well. He wasn't super effective in straight postups, but when Emery or Haws broke down the D he moved into several easy buckets. He still fouls too much but he is force in the paint. Also I though his FT's looked better.

Emery was very good as well. He seemed a little more under control when compared to last season.

Davis looked like he was readjusting to being the 4th option on offense. He played fine.

Guinn didn't play a ton but I saw him do some good things slashing to the hoop, fighting for boards and play good perimeter D.

Beo looked pretty good as well. He is another combo guard like Haws and Emery and when they played all 3 together it sparked the offense. I think he is going to play a significant role this year off the bench.

Childs has superior athletic ability but he hasn't adjusted to how the college game is officiated. I hope we can see him take a few jumpers in the next exhibition game. This team needs him to focus on D and rebounding. Haws-Emery-Beo will get him easy buckets.

Dastrup looks awkward sometimes and really smooth other times. I hope he can work his way into shape. Based on Mika and Childs foul rate, we will need him. His size is important on the defensive glass. Man he looks out of shape and he played really limited minutes.

Aytes... man I feel bad for Aytes. He was trying to make all the right plays. He ran the court to the rim but Haws threw a pass that was too low. He tried to fight for post position but he neglected to account for the fact he outweighs his opponent by 50 lbs--offensive foul. He tries to rotate on D but he is a step slow and fouls. Maybe Haws can tutor him on BB IQ. I still the all the parts of effective player but he can't seem to put it together. Or maybe he is too short and not quite quick enough.

Shaw was pretty bad with 4 fouls in 5 minutes.

Leifson played but couldn't work himself into any scoring opportunities.

Bryant and Rose did not play. I suspect if they had Leifson and Guinn's minutes would have been reduced. I think we will play 3 guards all the time to keep our most talented players on the floor.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Vs Seattle Pacific

Post by Mars »

What was the Final score?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Mars wrote:What was the Final score?
102-82

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=16823381

Observations of Byu preseason games from a Zags fans point of view

Hey so the football games were fine but I wanted to check the Byu basketball game out since it was on tv. I even saw a decent amount of the inter squad scrimmage so I can see if the hype was warranted. The Zags played a closed scrimmage against Baylor and apparently won according to sources so just seeing college basketball live makes me feel good. So here are positive and negative comments about what I saw this past week...

The Lone Peak Three looks as good as advertised. The chemistry they displayed even against division 2 competition was undeniable and certainly will help them immensely going forward in the non conference portion of their schedule.

Tj Haws already has a better set of skills than his brother and will be a better player. I'm still not sure if point guard is his best position but he looked impressive on the offensive end. But those Steph Curry type shot selection has to stop as a point guard because those possessions will lose games.

Eric Mika will be the best post player in the WCC and could average near 20 ppg. He should get touches every time in half court sets. He still fouls a lot and staying on the court will still be an issue.

Nick Emery seems willing to get others involved and not go for 30 each game. He still is the go to guy in the clutch and will have a big year.

Davis is who he is, a steady player who will do well against bad teams and will struggle against the better teams.

Byu in general will be a very potent offensive team and should be in the top 10 in scoring nationally. The bench players provide depth and this is without their most athletic players, although the chemistry outside the LP3 is still a concern.

There were a few concerns that I think you guys should be concerned about....

Payton Dastrup should red shirt. I saw very little in him skill wise and wonder how much of a long term impact he'll have. Yoeli Childs looks much better right now. I think the mission rust is affecting him much greater. Athletic bigs I'm afraid will literally run circles around him this year. If Byu has the big depth many say they do, red shirt might be an option.

Speaking of Childs, I'm torn of the impact he'll have. This year he should come off the bench as an energy player and change of pace player. I like what he does but he doesn't do anything particularly great. He's too small in the post for certain teams and I don't think playing the three is an option. His size and experience also will contribute to foul trouble if left in.

As far as those shooting walk on guys like Beo, I don't see them have much impact. Their skill set is exactly like the starters and bringing them in really doesn't change much. Unless they play really good defense, I don't see meaningful minutes for them.

The defense overall was bad to put in nicely. The post defense was actually good and better than last year so that's good but the 3 point defense and dribble penetration were terrible. The foul trouble of the bigs were in large part because of how the opposing guards were easily able to get in the paint. There were so many threes taken and while it was good to see the walk ons shot incredibly well in the scrimmage, it was also just as bad that Emery and Haws allowed that to happen. Teams could be able to shoot the three well against this team simply due to the lack of size with the Byu guards and how they can people penetrate.

Overall, there were plenty of things that will worry me about this team in the future. The LP3 could possibly be the highest scoring trio in the country outside of Duke and will be an offensive juggernaut. But the defensive issues are a big problem from the guards and will cause the bigs to get in foul trouble this season. Of course this is without two players and the point guard situation will need to be looked at. And the half court offense still needs fixing to get quality shots. But overall Byu will certainly be a force to be reckoned with and should do well against teams outside of Spokane.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I have to agree that I was not real impressed with Dastrup. Maybe he has a lot of potential but I don't see him offering much this year. If I'm going "all in" this season I definitely put Kaufusi ahead of him on the depth chart. Kaufusi might have a lower ceiling but he's better now.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Defense is still not a priority for this team. It will continue to cost BYU games.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I was and am worried about our defense. The biggest indicator of success for Rose's teams is defense, not offense. If we can't get our perimeter defense down, we'll drop games to the likes of Pepperdine again.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Did we play 100% man defense this game? I don't recall seeing any zone.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote:Did we play 100% man defense this game? I don't recall seeing any zone.
I don't recall seeing any defense. :lol: :skeptic: :sulk:

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

A team like Seattle Pacific shouldn't be dropping 82 points on us.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel