BYU Cougars on the court.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by BlueK »

BroncoBot wrote:
BlueK wrote:Bryant and Rose will have an impact on the overall level of play once they are in the lineup, probably mostly noticed on defense. Bryant took part in pre-game and halftime warmups in the last game, so he must be pretty close to playing. I wonder if they'll give him a few minutes in the next exhibition. Both Bryant and Rose are expected to be back in time for the November 14th opener against Princeton.
If and when those 2 get back they should make a difference in physicality, defense and leadership. Hoping they get back soon. Right now BYU looks like a high school team (doesn't mean they can't win games they are just on the small side).
BYU isn't a small team compared to D1 college basketball. Compared to the NBA, sure.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueK wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BlueK wrote:Bryant and Rose will have an impact on the overall level of play once they are in the lineup, probably mostly noticed on defense. Bryant took part in pre-game and halftime warmups in the last game, so he must be pretty close to playing. I wonder if they'll give him a few minutes in the next exhibition. Both Bryant and Rose are expected to be back in time for the November 14th opener against Princeton.
If and when those 2 get back they should make a difference in physicality, defense and leadership. Hoping they get back soon. Right now BYU looks like a high school team (doesn't mean they can't win games they are just on the small side).
BYU isn't a small team compared to D1 college basketball. Compared to the NBA, sure.
Should have said the guards look smaller (TJ, Nick, Beo, Frampton etc) LJ and Bryant will help with that. TJ has 5 lbs on me and I'm 5' 8" vs his 6'4" (which I think is a stretch). They're freshman and look like it. Nothing wrong with that, but they certainly aren't going to strike fear into any opponents regarding physical play.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Nick has already played and he was pretty darn good despite his size. I'm not too worried about that with him or Haws. But yes, Bryant and Rose bring a different element to the lineup that will be very beneficial, I think.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

BroncoBot wrote:
BlueK wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Should have said the guards look smaller (TJ, Nick, Beo, Frampton etc) LJ and Bryant will help with that. TJ has 5 lbs on me and I'm 5' 8" vs his 6'4" (which I think is a stretch). They're freshman and look like it. Nothing wrong with that, but they certainly aren't going to strike fear into any opponents regarding physical play.
Doesn't really matter if they strike fear into opponents, so long as they score and play defense like they did in HS they'll be leaving plenty of overconfident players and teams frustrated when the games over. Give haws 50# and I'm sure he still won't strike fear into opponents.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYULV wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BlueK wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Doesn't really matter if they strike fear into opponents, so long as they score and play defense like they did in HS they'll be leaving plenty of overconfident players and teams frustrated when the games over. Give haws 50# and I'm sure he still won't strike fear into opponents.
Here's what TJ looks like if he's really 6'4 and adds 50#s
I'll take that over.....

I'm sure they'll be covered in the scoring dept, why would you come to BYU if you can't score?
Defense, I've yet to see anything from this years team that makes me thing they'll slow down teams any more than your typical run n gun BYU team.

Again, hopefully bryant and rose help in that category.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

BroncoBot wrote:
Here's what TJ looks like if he's really 6'4 and adds 50#s
Hmmmm ....there may be one other slight difference between the way these two guys look other than their weight...but I can't quite put my finger on it...

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

ABYUFAN wrote: Hmmmm ....there may be one other slight difference between the way these two guys look other than their weight...but I can't quite put my finger on it...
LOL...

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

comparing a BYU freshman player just off a mission to an NBA all star is clearly a fair comparison, right?

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote:Here's another 6'4" 220# guy for truth in advertising:

IF TJ can even add 50#s to his frame, I very much doubt he ends up looking like this rebyata.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueK wrote:comparing a BYU freshman player just off a mission to an NBA all star is clearly a fair comparison, right?
HA HA HA. I love how this has progressed. I say that TJ and most of BYU's guards look like bean poles. I add that I'd like to see them add some weight. ABYUFAN says that 50#s wouldn't be suitable for TJ. I state that 50# could actually go a long ways for TJ and gave an example of someone (first random dude I found at 6-4 and 220).

You just proved my initial point and I'll repeat; The guards look like they are high school players OR if you want, I'll concede freshman straight off the mish. It sounds like you agree with me. Don't even try to tell me the guard lineup against Seattle Pacific looked like an average D1 backcourt. Seattle Pacific's guards looked stronger.

BTW - NBA star has nothing to do with it. Take a gander at KC or Bryant or LJ Rose even, none of them are "stars" but they are solidly built.

BTW2 - I'll take the skinny guy who can score and defend over a dude who looks like D-wade but can't play the position. But I'd love him to try and put some weight on. I'm sure TJ is trying to do just that. Doesn't mean he doesn't look skinny and sometimes out of place.