BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

line in the sand...

Post by BroncoBot »

How many wins does BYU get this year?

Pomeroy has us winning 23, losing 7, and favorite in all but 3 games.

I'm going conservative, EXPECTING at least 20, but not necessarily more than that this year.

scott715
TV Analyst

Re: line in the sand...

Post by scott715 »

I assume that is in the regular season only. My guess 24.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

scott715 wrote:I assume that is in the regular season only. My guess 24.
Yes. Regular season. 24 would be an awesome season.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

BroncoBot wrote:How many wins does BYU get this year?

Pomeroy has us winning 23, losing 7, and favorite in all but 3 games.

I'm going conservative, EXPECTING at least 20, but not necessarily more than that this year.
As I understand it, Pomeroy doesn't factor in new players unless they're 5* recruits from the previous year, or something like that. So I think his system is probably underestimating us by quite a bit. If we can stay pretty healthy this will be the best team since 2011. This team will surprise a lot of people this year. The overall talent level is going to be noticeably different.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

My prediction is 25 wins this year

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

I understand why fans would be cautious in their excitement. As humans we base those feelings on past experience. But here's the difference: we've never had this many top 100 players on the same team before. So you can't really judge what a team with a different level of talent is going to do based on what past teams with a lower level of talent have done. I'm excited to watch tomorrow. I do think we need Bryant and Rose to be healthy because they add a different type of skillset to the guardline and give us depth. They're both supposed to be ok by the time the season starts. The Princeton game is huge because they're an experienced team that won a lot of games last year and should be an rpi top 40 type team. That will be tough as a first game, but if we can win it, I predict we're going to be really good.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

25 wins regular season.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I think this BYU team is going to struggle a bit off the bat. Much like GSW did last night with the spurs. BYU will lose some games they have no business losing.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BroncoBot wrote:I think this BYU team is going to struggle a bit off the bat. Much like GSW did last night with the spurs. BYU will lose some games they have no business losing.
First half of the blue/white game did nothing to alleviate my fears or create new fears. First of all, Bryant, mika and rose and obviously Bryant were not playing. All should be contributors. Otherwise, the Blue white game was more of a high school game than a D1 basetball game.

I WAS impressed with Leifson, Beo and Dastrup. Aytes is huge, but may not be a huge contributor... again. Was expecting more of TJ Haws, but I haven't seen the 2nd half. He did have a great pass to a certain Kyle Davis right before half for the alley-oop at the buzzer. Worth looking that one up if you didn't see the game.

Will report more after watching the 2nd half. Team is young. They are going to struggle with teams that have a lot of chemistry and leadership.

Nashif yesterday said that coaches were looking for "the heart of the team" so they could build around that. I still think the first half of the year could be more losses than the usual BYU team. 2nd half of the season I expect big gain in the way the team plays.

Still think anything over 20 wins will be great.