line in the sand...

BYU Cougars on the court.
BlueK
Junior
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:47 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by BlueK » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Jimmer didn't really look the part either. I think for people who don't usually pay attention to BYU basketball but who noticed what he was doing on the court, that was part of the charm and the mystique.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8991
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by BroncoBot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:37 am

BlueK wrote:Jimmer didn't really look the part either. I think for people who don't usually pay attention to BYU basketball but who noticed what he was doing on the court, that was part of the charm and the mystique.
????
You'll have to explain this to me. Jimmer always had a good amount of meat on him. (unless you're just saying he was a slow white dude).

Just for comparison... And I'm not using the BMI to say that anyone was overweight/underweight. Just to say who had more "mass" on their frame, which in Jimmer's case was muscle.
6-2 and 195 = BMI of 25.2
6-4 and 170 = BMI of 20.7

Here's Jimmer as a Freshman
Image

byucougar1
Pro
Posts: 3400
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by byucougar1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Let's not get too carried away by weight and an ability to get off shot or not be pushed around. Examples include, Kevin Durrant of Texas ( 6'9" and 215 lbs). However, he had a great wingspan (7'4" wingspan), which helped him get his shot off cleanly over most defenders; Brandon Ingram of Duke (6’9” and 200 lbs) was fearless in attacking the rim and had a great outside shot.

TJ, while not comparing him directly to these two players, is athletic, creative, mentally tough, and has an ability to get off his shot under pressure and from range.

Qman
All-American
Posts: 1173
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:54 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Houston, TX

Re: line in the sand...

Post by Qman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:58 pm

BroncoBot wrote:
BlueK wrote:Jimmer didn't really look the part either. I think for people who don't usually pay attention to BYU basketball but who noticed what he was doing on the court, that was part of the charm and the mystique.
????
You'll have to explain this to me. Jimmer always had a good amount of meat on him. (unless you're just saying he was a slow white dude).

Just for comparison... And I'm not using the BMI to say that anyone was overweight/underweight. Just to say who had more "mass" on their frame, which in Jimmer's case was muscle.
6-2 and 195 = BMI of 25.2
6-4 and 170 = BMI of 20.7

Here's Jimmer as a Freshman
Image
Jimmer as a freshman is age 18-19.

TJ as a freshman is age 20.

Not the same thing.
Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8991
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by BroncoBot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Qman wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BlueK wrote:Jimmer didn't really look the part either. I think for people who don't usually pay attention to BYU basketball but who noticed what he was doing on the court, that was part of the charm and the mystique.
????
You'll have to explain this to me. Jimmer always had a good amount of meat on him. (unless you're just saying he was a slow white dude).

Just for comparison... And I'm not using the BMI to say that anyone was overweight/underweight. Just to say who had more "mass" on their frame, which in Jimmer's case was muscle.
6-2 and 195 = BMI of 25.2
6-4 and 170 = BMI of 20.7

Here's Jimmer as a Freshman
Image
Jimmer as a freshman is age 18-19.

TJ as a freshman is age 20.

Not the same thing.
Now you're messin with me, right?

User avatar
IowaCougar
Junior
Posts: 829
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:38 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Thornton, Colorado

Re: line in the sand...

Post by IowaCougar » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:52 pm

ABYUFAN wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Here's what TJ looks like if he's really 6'4 and adds 50#s
Image
Hmmmm ....there may be one other slight difference between the way these two guys look other than their weight...but I can't quite put my finger on it...
See Studio C - "You're Not Adopted" :lol:

User avatar
scott715
TV Analyst
Posts: 10046
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:56 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Pendleton, OR

Re: line in the sand...

Post by scott715 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:11 pm


nuk13
All-American
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:43 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by nuk13 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:33 pm

scott715 wrote:
I don't know how this thread went from basketball to studio c but that is funny!

User avatar
BroncoBot
Retired
Posts: 8991
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by BroncoBot » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:43 pm

BroncoBot wrote:
BYULV wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
BlueK wrote: I could see BYU losing anywhere from 6-9 games BEFORE conference gets started.
Wow, is this serious hyperbole or TIC? We only have 13 preconference games to begin with and it is not a really tough slate of games to begin with. Which games can you see us realistically losing?

Princeton
Coppin St
Coastal Carolina
St. Louis
Valpo/Alabama
UVU
USU
USC
Weber St
Colorado
Illinois
Idaho St
CSU Bakersfield


Gimmees: Coppin, C. Carolina, Idaho, CSU-B

Should be wins: UVU, USU, Weber

Can Wins: Princeton, St. Louis (no idea how good they are), Valpo/alab, USC, Colorado, Illinois (no idea how good they are either).

In order to lose 9 games, we would have to lose all "Can Win" games, and all "Should win" games. 4 of those are at home and the others are neutral site games. We don't play a true road game until conference play, Jan. 5. I don't see us losing all of these, including 4 home games early even if we are playing somewhat poorly. Two of our tougher games, Princeton and Colorado, are at home which will help even things out for this young team. Only significant travel trip (vs Illinois) in chicago, otherwise SLC, Las Vegas and LA trips which are easy travel. This team can handle this preseason schedule without getting totally blown out of the water, which 9 losses would be. 6 losses to the toughest 6 teams could happen, but unlikely the way things are laid out for us. I give us 7 wins from "Gimmees" and "Should win" and half of the rest to get us to 10-3. If we gel a little sooner, I wouldn't be surprised to see us win 11,12 or 13 games. :crazy: :crazy:
Didn't say we WOULD lose 6-9. UVU is BYU light with a lot guys that would have contributed this year for BYU, could be a loss. princeton, like harvard last year, is going to give BYU fits. USU a toss up.

The rest of your can wins, could certainly see an additional 3-4 losses in there. I don't think 6-9 is hyperbole at ALL. I wouldn't bet that BYU loses 9 games before WCC play, but I don't thing 6 losses is unrealistic at all.
Ahem....

Don't mean to toot my own horn, but UVU AND Valpo have proved BYU is far from bulletproof. Unfortunately, I see a few more losses to this team before they git er figured out.

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 11954
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: line in the sand...

Post by hawkwing » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Losing to a team that is sub 300 ranking is a little more than proving to be far from bulletproof.

Post Reply