Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: line in the sand...

Post by BYULV »

Qman wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
hawkwing wrote:< 20 wins = Major disappointment, Rose on the HOT seat.
20 - 22 wins = disappointing season
23 wins = Expectation
> 23 - 25 wins = Exceeding expectations
> 25 wins = Fantastic season
This all depends on how good those teams end up being that beat us in pre-wcc play. Also depends on if BYU has a couple headscratchers during WCC play, they've always had a few that I don't understand since joining WCC. I don't think Rose is going to be on the hotseat unless we have a losing season this year, which I don't see happening. It's a young unproven team that has a lot to get figured out. Maybe my opinion will change after a few pre-season games.
I disagree, other teams with several top 100 players on the team often make it to the sweet 16. I don't understand why our expectations for BYU are so much lower than the rest of the world.
And several teams with no ESPN 100 guys make the sweet 16 too. I hope you are right and we dominate the WCC and make a big run in NCAA's. But I believe we don't have the experience/physicality to play consistently well.

Think about it this way- who are big guys who weigh more than 230 on the team? Mika, Kaufisi, Aytes and Dastrup(not in a good way for him). That means Childs, Shaw and Davis are under-strength. Other teams will be able to wear us down.

On the perimeter who on the team weighs more than 195? Rose and Bryant. Unfortunately Rose is frequently hurt. So we are going to be at physical disadvantage almost all the time.

Maybe next year our strength conditioning program will provide some improvements, but this year I expect to be at a strength disadvantage all year long.
Except for Haws, I don't think our guards need to be beefing up over 200#. I think Emery handles contact well and finishes at the rim at his current weight just fine. Even Haws, at his slight size, seems to do pretty well. Would hate to see them add pounds At the expense of speed.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

SpiffCoug wrote:
hawkwing wrote: I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head but I I looked at the Final Four/Elite Eight teams several months ago and very few of them had less than 2 top 100 players, I don't think any of them had none (don't quote me on that last part).
Here's the thread you started that had some pretty good info from you and other posters.
http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ur#p226884
I noticed Oklahoma only had 1 top 100 player and none in the higher catagories and made the final 4. They just became one of my favorites.

It's interesting that the Lone Peak team was the number 1 high school team in the nation and none of the 3 players from there on BYU's team was higher than 4 stars. They had to have beaten teams with 5 star guys on their team. I know a one 5 star player doesn't a team make but it still makes me wonder.

I also don't think everyone has to be heavier to be better. Haws will probably put on weight but he'll be good even at the weight he's at.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

This season will be entertaining, but it's a warm up to next season.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

23 wins = Expectation
NIT early exit = Major disappointment, Rose on the HOT seat
NIT semi-finals = disappointing season
Making the NCAA tournament = Expectation
Win conference title and/or conference tourney = Exceeding expectations
Sweet 16 = Fantastic season

If we win 23 games and don't get into the tourney I'm disappointed.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote:
23 wins = Expectation
NIT early exit = Major disappointment, Rose on the HOT seat
NIT semi-finals = disappointing season
Making the NCAA tournament = Expectation
Win conference title and/or conference tourney = Exceeding expectations
Sweet 16 = Fantastic season

If we win 23 games and don't get into the tourney I'm disappointed.
Pretty fair assessment.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote:This season will be entertaining, but it's a warm up to next season.
yup. My low expectations this year are balanced by my high expectations for next year.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Bryant and Rose will have an impact on the overall level of play once they are in the lineup, probably mostly noticed on defense. Bryant took part in pre-game and halftime warmups in the last game, so he must be pretty close to playing. I wonder if they'll give him a few minutes in the next exhibition. Both Bryant and Rose are expected to be back in time for the November 14th opener against Princeton.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BlueK wrote:Bryant and Rose will have an impact on the overall level of play once they are in the lineup, probably mostly noticed on defense. Bryant took part in pre-game and halftime warmups in the last game, so he must be pretty close to playing. I wonder if they'll give him a few minutes in the next exhibition. Both Bryant and Rose are expected to be back in time for the November 14th opener against Princeton.
If and when those 2 get back they should make a difference in physicality, defense and leadership. Hoping they get back soon. Right now BYU looks like a high school team (doesn't mean they can't win games they are just on the small side).

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
23 wins = Expectation
This all depends on how good those teams end up being that beat us in pre-wcc play. Also depends on if BYU has a couple headscratchers during WCC play, they've always had a few that I don't understand since joining WCC. I don't think Rose is going to be on the hotseat unless we have a losing season this year, which I don't see happening. It's a young unproven team that has a lot to get figured out. Maybe my opinion will change after a few pre-season games.
I disagree, other teams with several top 100 players on the team often make it to the sweet 16. I don't understand why our expectations for BYU are so much lower than the rest of the world.
that is a good point. But at the same time, the Duke team that had Jabari Parker on it also lost in the first round. There are other examples like that every season. I don't necessarily expect sweet 16 this year, but barely getting 20 wins against this schedule is an expectation that is way too low and one that BYU will easily surpass with this team.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

nuk13 wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
hawkwing wrote: I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head but I I looked at the Final Four/Elite Eight teams several months ago and very few of them had less than 2 top 100 players, I don't think any of them had none (don't quote me on that last part).
Here's the thread you started that had some pretty good info from you and other posters.
http://cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ur#p226884
I noticed Oklahoma only had 1 top 100 player and none in the higher catagories and made the final 4. They just became one of my favorites.

It's interesting that the Lone Peak team was the number 1 high school team in the nation and none of the 3 players from there on BYU's team was higher than 4 stars. They had to have beaten teams with 5 star guys on their team. I know a one 5 star player doesn't a team make but it still makes me wonder.

I also don't think everyone has to be heavier to be better. Haws will probably put on weight but he'll be good even at the weight he's at.
ESPN only gives out 5 stars to the top 25 players in a recruiting class. Spread that over 340 or so D1 teams. They're meant to be rare.