byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Basketball Media Day

Post by byufan4ever »

Where's all the bball hype ya'll???

I watched BYU SN's 2 hour coverage. Here's what I got out of it:

Nick Emery has broken ribs. Elijah Bryant ran into him. But he's not resting it all. You gotta get healthy for the season dude!

Elijah Bryant is the strongest on the team (according to his teammates that were interviewed).

L.J. Rose has the best handles.

Kyle Davis looks leaner, but in a good way. Says he's working on his footwork and post moves!

Eric Mika says he's working on his FT and 15 ft jumpers!

TJ Haws is the Ginger Mambo!!

What do you guys have to share from the media day yesterday??

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
BlueK
Senior

Re: Basketball Media Day

Post by BlueK »

Davis will be a lot more effective playing as the second option in the post when he's in the game instead of the only option.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Thanks for posting this. I went into BYU Cougars and listened to Rose and a couple of players. I guess you always have optimism at the start of the season but this team looks very good. There are inside and outside players. There are both old and young. I agree that Davis will be more effective when he doesn't have to carry the load he did last year. He may be the first option perhaps, until the others get up to speed. I hope we don't have the gunner's attitude the team had last year. Our talented bigs shouldn't just be rebounding for the gunners.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

I am excited for the potential of an inside-out offense. I am concerned about our ability to defend on the perimeter.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Here are some additional pre-season updates:

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/colle ... d811c.html
Sophomore guard Elijah Bryant was not in attendance after undergoing a procedure on his knee. BYU head coach Dave Rose said Bryant was struggling with some “discomfort” in his knee and while there was an option to manage the pain through the season, they felt it would be a better idea to take care of it now. Bryant is expected to miss a couple of weeks.
Senior graduate transfer L.J. Rose was at practice but did not participate in drills. Rose said the player, who has a long history of injuries during his college career, sprained his ankle recently and is “close” to getting back to participation.
Another injured member of the team is assistant head coach Terry Nashif, who had his foot in a boot and was using a medical scooter to get around practice. Rose said Nashif completed the off-season conditioning program with the players – senior forward Kyle Davis said Nashif was “a beast” – but broke his foot a few weeks later playing church basketball.
Sophomore guard Nick Emery said the Cougars are learning a new offense that will better take advantage of their strength in the post. He said while BYU played with four guards at time last year the Cougars plan to take advantage of Davis, returned missionaries Eric Mika and Payton Dastrup and true freshman Yoeli Childs and get them more post touches.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

scott715 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-minut ... 48523.html

They pick us 3rd in WCC
The WCC is going to have three really good teams. This is a good thing. But I'm not convinced we finish third, although I know SMC was good last year and brings everyone back.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

BlueK wrote:
scott715 wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-minut ... 48523.html

They pick us 3rd in WCC
The WCC is going to have three really good teams. This is a good thing. But I'm not convinced we finish third, although I know SMC was good last year and brings everyone back.
Would you agree that there's no way the WCC gets 3 teams in the tourney? Even if we go undefeated in our OOC games, I think we need to finish #1 or #2 in the conference or then it comes down to winning the conference tourney. Otherwise we're out.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I don't agree that there's no way the WCC gets 3 teams, but it's extremely unlikely. Best to be in the top 2.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think there will be 3 teams and could be a 4th if they win the tourney (I doubt that happening). SMC and GU should start the season ranked.