2016-17 Schedule

BYU Cougars on the court.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2016-17 Schedule

Post by BlueK »

there are a lot of factors in play. A team's rpi doesn't mean nearly as much to the committee on its own as does the rpi's of the teams that team beats. And usually a team's own rpi is going to be good if they hardly ever lose. There isn't much room for error in this schedule, but if BYU is intrinsically better, then I don't think it's going to matter because they will win. Teams like USC and Colorado, possibly Alabama and for sure Gonzaga and SMC can give us enough good wins if we can win most of those. But yeah, this isn't a schedule for "tricking" the committee into putting you into the tournament. I just think the team is going to be good enough on its own to not need to have a way to fool the committee this year, if you know what I'm saying.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

It's a schedule that rewards winning, just like last year's schedule. We'll need a 10+ win streak to get noticed. Can't lose two in a row and we'll obviously need to go deep into the WCC tourney. Will be harder this year between Gonzaga & SMC.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't make the big dance. Two years in a row of not making it should put the coach on the hot seat.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote:I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't make the big dance. Two years in a row of not making it should put the coach on the hot seat.
I can not imagine this team of talent not making the dance. It would be a terribly disappointing year. Honestly I think this level of talent, even though young, should win the WCC tournament, and if not will be a little disappointed.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

byufan4ever wrote:I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't make the big dance. Two years in a row of not making it should put the coach on the hot seat.
This team will easily make the tournament. Funny though because if they didn't, it would mean only 3 of Rose's 11 teams didn't make it. Fans have really short memories. Even so, this team has 6 ESPN top 100 recruits on it. We've never seen anything remotely approaching that at BYU in terms of pure talent. People are going to be surprised. BYU will absolutely obliterate this schedule. It will just be a month or so into the season before some of the more casual fans notice. I just hope there are some decent teams on it when all is said and done. We know Gonzaga and SMC will be good teams and we know we've beaten both of them before, so we just need to get our share of wins over them and the non-conference and we'll be fine.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

BYU will now open the season against Princeton, who was a top 40 rpi team last year and has all their key players back. this is a great late upgrade to the schedule. It will be played Nov. 14th when they previously had BYU-Hawaii scheduled to open the regular season. BYU-H will instead visit Provo Nov. 9th and will now be an exhibition game, replacing Westminster who will play BYU next year. Nice work Rose and co.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

It's a schedule, like last year's, that rewards winning. We pull off a couple 10-win streaks and we'll get some love.

We'll need 27 wins at least to get an at-large bid.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

with 27 or more wins BYU gets in easily, not just barely. You can talk about their 26 wins last year, but that' includes 3 from the NIT, so 27 going into selection Sunday is actually four more than last year.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Also, the schedule doesn't have elites on it other than Gonzaga, but that's not really that important as long as there are enough good, tournament worthy teams on it and we can win our share of those. If you look at the CBS way too early projection which doesn't include BYU in the field, it does include several of BYU's opponents, which shows that we'll have more than enough opportunities to make a mark by beating teams that are both good and beatable. Yes, we will have to win most of them, but I think this team will. We will have an exciting team with the guys coming off missions and the players coming back and the new transfers. Six top-100 players on the same team is something we have never seen before. The talent upgrade this season will be noticeable.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... cketology/

Projected in the field by CBS:
Princeton
Valparaiso
USC
Weber State
St. Mary's
Gonzaga

Among those not listed who may have a decent shot of making the field is Colorado. By the way, Utah didn't make the CBS projection.

Dropping non-D1 BYU-H and replacing them with 22-7, RPI-top 40 Princeton was a major last-minute scheduling coup by BYU that the more casual fan probably won't realize the significance of, but which will help BYU's resume.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Just announced that the BYU/Princeton game will open the 2016 ESPN Tip-off marathon and will be shown on ESPN2. It will be immediately followed by another interesting game, SDSU at Gonzaga.