LJ Rose Committs

Post by scott715 »

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: LJ Rose Committs

Post by Fido »

Great! Perfect in that he is a skilled guard which was a need with Jordan Chatman leaving. Better yet is he will be a senior this year so shouldn't contribute to the scholarship crunch in 2017-18 that might be there if they had to bring in an underclassman.

That leaves one open scholarship. It will be interesting to see what Dave Rose does with it.

It is also interesting that this makes 5 non-mission players on the team (Aytes, Beo, Bryant, Childs, Rose). It has been a while since I remember having that many on the team at once.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

I'm glad we got added depth on the guardline, especially with Chatman leaving, but I'm not counting on LJ being a key contributor given his history of injury. I look at him more as a leadership addition than someone who will move the needle in games

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

If he's healthy he will move the needle in games. He has excellent assist per minute numbers and assist/TO ratio through his career. Since HS he's been called a pass-first PG. That's exactly what this team with lots of shooters needs.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I'm glad to have him on the team, he's got some great tattoos, but I doubt he'll ever be a particularly important piece with his injury history.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

low risk with high reward potential. 2 scholarships available and no one better than this out there who we could have gotten. I've read that this type of injury usually recurs because someone isn't patient enough with the recovery time, but one most players will fully recover from if they are patient. Since he sat out the whole season maybe he'll be in the latter group. I know why people keep their expectations low, but he has the type of skillset next year's team will need.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

With LJ Rose, BYU will now have six top-100 players on the roster next year. This blows away anything BYU has had in the past. I know it's natural to base expectations on past experience, so therefore many of us just hope the team is going to be good but maybe expect about the same. The problem is that only works when the talent is roughly the same. So either these guys are going to vastly underperform their rating or we're in for some excitement in basketball we've not seen before.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote:With LJ Rose, BYU will now have six top-100 players on the roster next year. This blows away anything BYU has had in the past. I know it's natural to base expectations on past experience, so therefore many of us just hope the team is going to be good but maybe expect about the same. The problem is that only works when the talent is roughly the same. So either these guys are going to vastly underperform their rating or we're in for some excitement in basketball we've not seen before.
I hope it's the latter.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:I'm glad to have him on the team, he's got some great tattoos, but I doubt he'll ever be a particularly important piece with his injury history.

He may have more, but Rashaun Broadus has some pretty swell ink--I'd give the "best" nod to Broadus.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I'm glad to have him on the team, he's got some great tattoos, but I doubt he'll ever be a particularly important piece with his injury history.

He may have more, but Rashaun Broadus has some pretty swell ink--I'd give the "best" nod to Broadus.
Pics or it didn't happen.