BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jordan Chatman to transfer.

Post by BYULV »

ABYUFAN wrote:
BlueK wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:Looks like BYU Law school is forcing his hand on this. Based on Twitter (and when has that ever been a bad idea) The law school will not allow him to be on the hoops team, so now the team lost a solid player AND the Law School lost a loyal student. Interesting (especially given that the Law School granted a very big accommodation to Steve Young.)
Steve Young wasn't taking classes at all during football season. Jordan Chatman can't do that because of NCAA rules. You have to be attending class to play.
Right, allowing a student to take semesters off is a very big accommodation. The Law school could have allowed Jordan to do the same thing (but chose not to).
How is it possible for the law school to make this accommodation since he has to take, I think, 12 credit hours per semester to stay on scholarship?

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

I'm of the opinion that if he really wants to go to law school then go to law school. If he really wants to play BBall then play BBall. If he isn't willing to participate in the program as outlined by the Law School then let it go and there are hundreds of others who will bend over backwards for that law school spot. I know I would have been ticked had I not gotten into law school because they gave the spot to JC and then they gave him all sorts of accommodations so he could play BBall. There comes a time in life when you realized you can't have and do it all and you have to decide what's important to you. JC seems to have to come that point earlier than some.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Wrubell just tweeted that Houston transfer LJ Rose finally visited BYU last weekend. Wichita State is also showing interest. With the Chatman departure it makes this a really important recruit for BYU. I'm sure they're working hard to get him.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote:Wrubell just tweeted that Houston transfer LJ Rose finally visited BYU last weekend. Wichita State is also showing interest. With the Chatman departure it makes this a really important recruit for BYU. I'm sure they're working hard to get him.
And they got him, so that worked out.

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

BYULV wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
BlueK wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:Looks like BYU Law school is forcing his hand on this. Based on Twitter (and when has that ever been a bad idea) The law school will not allow him to be on the hoops team, so now the team lost a solid player AND the Law School lost a loyal student. Interesting (especially given that the Law School granted a very big accommodation to Steve Young.)
Steve Young wasn't taking classes at all during football season. Jordan Chatman can't do that because of NCAA rules. You have to be attending class to play.
Right, allowing a student to take semesters off is a very big accommodation. The Law school could have allowed Jordan to do the same thing (but chose not to).
How is it possible for the law school to make this accommodation since he has to take, I think, 12 credit hours per semester to stay on scholarship?
Graduate credits are different. If he's enrolled in a degree-seeking graduate program, he can be full-time with as few as 2 credits. But I assume the Law School isn't interested in letting him complete his first year over the course of his 3 remaining years of eligibility. Likely because a law school program doesn't offer first-year, first-semester classes in the January semester (though I did wonder about Steve Young's accommodation when I heard the news).

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Where there's a will, there's a way:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... basketball

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Looks like he's transferring to Boston College...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins