Jordan Chatman to transfer.

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Jordan Chatman to transfer.

Post by byufan4ever »

This makes zero sense. Just by default of lack of guards he was going to get playing time. Did he think he deserved starter 30+ minutes ahead of Haws/Emery?? There's got to be more to this...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

His dad said on Twitter that it was BYU Law said that first year law students are not allowed to have extra-curricular activities outside of the law school, so he couldn't play on the team and stay enrolled.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

This captured my thoughts pretty well:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Awful. I don't understand the law school decision. WHY? If he fails out, that's on him, right?

This is ridiculous.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

It's pretty typical of law school...no work or other extra curriculars for the first year. After that, you control your schedule.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Maybe he could score some extra credit by suing the Law School and getting them to back off.... :)

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:Dave Noriega said he could transfer to UVU and still attend BYU Law, I'm not exactly sure how that would work though.
I find it really hard to believe the NCAA would let someone play basketball at a school they're not attending.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

ABYUFAN wrote:Looks like BYU Law school is forcing his hand on this. Based on Twitter (and when has that ever been a bad idea) The law school will not allow him to be on the hoops team, so now the team lost a solid player AND the Law School lost a loyal student. Interesting (especially given that the Law School granted a very big accommodation to Steve Young.)
Steve Young wasn't taking classes at all during football season. Jordan Chatman can't do that because of NCAA rules. You have to be attending class to play.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BlueK wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Dave Noriega said he could transfer to UVU and still attend BYU Law, I'm not exactly sure how that would work though.
I find it really hard to believe the NCAA would let someone play basketball at a school they're not attending.
Same here, I don't know how he expected that to work.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

BlueK wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:Looks like BYU Law school is forcing his hand on this. Based on Twitter (and when has that ever been a bad idea) The law school will not allow him to be on the hoops team, so now the team lost a solid player AND the Law School lost a loyal student. Interesting (especially given that the Law School granted a very big accommodation to Steve Young.)
Steve Young wasn't taking classes at all during football season. Jordan Chatman can't do that because of NCAA rules. You have to be attending class to play.
Right, allowing a student to take semesters off is a very big accommodation. The Law school could have allowed Jordan to do the same thing (but chose not to).