hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU-Utah will be back on starting in 2017--in Provo

Post by hawkwing »

Commoner wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
BlueK wrote:#1: The established big donors at the U didn't want to end the rivalry. Many in the state legislature were also angry about it and they include some of the folks in group #1. The only folks who wanted to end it were coach 80k and the most recent bandwagon jumper ute fans who in general don't donate a lot of money. "Dr" Hill eventually had to listen to the folks with the money and influence. At least, that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.
I think Chris Hill wanted to end it as bad, if not worse than Coach K. I think it's only back on because state legislators were drawing up a bill to call for an independent audit of the athletic department to exert some leverage on Dr. Hill. If not for that threat, I think the series is still off.
The State Auditor's office conduct an annual audit of Utah and all the other public schools.
The threat of another audit wouldn't bother anyone on the hill.

They bowed to pressure from donors.
There are different kinds of audits, I heard that the annual audit is very basic and the proposed audit was an in-depth review of accounts, policies, and procedures, which could be quite damaging with the recent institutional abuse of the swimming team.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Commoner wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
BlueK wrote:#1: The established big donors at the U didn't want to end the rivalry. Many in the state legislature were also angry about it and they include some of the folks in group #1. The only folks who wanted to end it were coach 80k and the most recent bandwagon jumper ute fans who in general don't donate a lot of money. "Dr" Hill eventually had to listen to the folks with the money and influence. At least, that's the explanation that makes the most sense to me.
I think Chris Hill wanted to end it as bad, if not worse than Coach K. I think it's only back on because state legislators were drawing up a bill to call for an independent audit of the athletic department to exert some leverage on Dr. Hill. If not for that threat, I think the series is still off.
The State Auditor's office conduct an annual audit of Utah and all the other public schools.
The threat of another audit wouldn't bother anyone on the hill..
This was to be an "efficiency and effectiveness" audit, and would have been the first of its kind in Utah. An audit by politically motivated folks into "efficiency and effectiveness" is very much different than a CPA tracking dollars. As one legislator on the committee handling the audit said:
Rep. Dan McCay wrote:The exclamation point needs to be, 'If you ever, athletic department, feel like you have taken over [the rest of the school], we'll get rid of you.'
http://www.sltrib.com/home/3557683-155/ ... ty-of-utah

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

I like this Rep. McCray.