OT: Observation about Utah's bball team

BYU Cougars on the court.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

OT: Observation about Utah's bball team

Post by Fido »

Its very off-topic since we don't play them next year, but I've been seeing lots of news about Utah basketball. They have now lost half of their roster from this past season:
Graduation/consumed eligibility
Brandon Taylor-starter
Dakarai Tucker
Jordan Loveridge-starter
Austin Eastman*walk-on grad student
NBA Draft
Jakob Poeltl-starter
Transfer out
Chris Reyes - Pepperdine
Isaiah Wright - San Diego
Brekkott Chapman - Weber State? - Was expected to start in 2016-17

This means they retain only 2 starters (Bonam and Kuzma) and then will have seniors Ogbe and Bealer to go with 2nd year players Connor, Johnson, Mawien, and Montgomery.
Incoming they have:
Tyler Rawson - junior F from SLCC
Jojo Zamora - soph G from Yuba College
Parker Van Dyke - soph G returning from mission
Devon Daniels - G - Class of 2016
Sedrick Barefield - soph G- transfer from SMU - not eligible until after Fall 2016
David Collette - junior F - transfer from Utah State - not eligible until after Fall 2016

By my count that puts them at 14 bodies--2 of which can't play until late December. Should be interesting to watch how they do.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: OT: Observation about Utah's bball team

Post by SpiffCoug »

Obviously just clearing cap space for Mika's transfer.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

I knew about the seniors and Poeltl leaving obviously. I had no idea about the guys who are transferring out. Those will hurt. Hard to imagine them being very good, which means even if we did play them next year it wouldn't have helped our NCAA resume anyway.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

I would also say that looking at utah's depleted roster and also seeing that the pre-season brackets mostly all still have Utah in them anyway tells me why pre-season bracketology is always pure nonsense.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Are you starting to see why Chris Hill and Coach 80K were so desperate for a pre-text to call of the next game while they had a nice win streak going against the Cougs?

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

It's going to come back to bite them. Next year when BYU is good and Utah is bad, the media will be talking about Utah choosing not to play BYU in Provo in a year when BYU would kick their butts.