EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Basketball at UVU

Post by EM_Puma »

ABYUFAN wrote:
EM_Puma wrote:
Fido wrote:UVU having a strong team is fine with me. There is no danger of the BYU basketball program being in the UVU program's shadow any time soon.
I don't know that I agree. We used to say that about USU in football, but in the last 5-6 years the situation has changed a bit and playing at USU football can get you into a New Year's Day bowl easier than it would at BYU.

As noted, there could easily be more depth-type players lost to an up-and-coming UVU.
One new years bowl game would not put BYU in USU's shadow. BYU isn't in Utah's shadow and Utah has two, and a better conference affiliation.
Correct. My point, which unfortunately wasn't well presented by my response, was that I don't agree that a strong UVU program isn't a threat to BYU, but the threat is only that they could pick up players that would usually be providing some depth to BYU. Who knows. There are always going to be problems though with depth players that don't want to be depth players, but want to start. This just creates a more viable opportunity for them. I have had five of my children go to UVU and is very much like Southern Virginia University and currently very influenced by the local LDS culture, making it very palatable for LDS young adults.

No, I can't see us ever being in UVU's shadow and we're not in USU's either. Simply as their programs become stronger, it affects the kids that would have been walk-ons or bench players at BYU. That's what I was trying to say. Currently it is not a problem as we have some very good depth.