Valpo

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Valpo

Post by BroncoBot »

Good team. BYU's shots not dropping. Valpo hitting a lot of 3s which are wide open because of BYU's infatuation with the zone defense. Valpo doing a great job of controlling tempo, taking shots late in the shot clock and playing disruptive defense. They are also crashing the boards.

BYU has a lot to figure out if they want to get back in this one. Noting but respect for Valpo though, they are a solid team. Fortunately for BYU, they forced 11 turnovers, I think both teams have 11 turnovers. Valpo could have a bigger lead if not for valpos turnovers. At the same time, BYU could be sitting a lot prettier if they didn't have 11 turnovers.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Valpo

Post by Ddawg »

Valpo is much tougher than I thought they would be. I knew thy were a god team. I thought BYU would score more - be closer at Halftime.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

I think Valpo is out hustling the Cougs. The Cougs are turning the ball over. Does not bode well for BYU unless they correct - quickly.

TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

I don't know what Fischer was thinking by taking 5 dribbles right into the Valpo D, there at the end or BYU for that matter as there was no one down the floor to pass the ball to. Glad Fischer will be gone next year as he spent more time missing easy shots than hitting them.

BYU made to many mistakes at the end like not guarding the guy who hit the 3 to give Valpo the win. I find it funny how BYU can hit the heavily contested, in your face, and difficult layups but can't hit a single easy open and unguarded layup.

Too bad BYU but you had you chances and blew it.
Last edited by TheDean on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

In the first half we didn't look mentally ready to play. Stupid turnovers and lapses on D.

In the second half we adjusted out defensive hedging in the zone and made a run.

Emery has been awesome at getting traffic rebounds tonight.

The good and bad of Fischer and KC on display. Davis finally wakes up.

The final sequence of plays gets Fischer some easy looks which he misses and he tries to force a game-winner.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
TheDean
Freshman

Post by TheDean »

Qman wrote:In the first half we didn't look mentally ready to play. Stupid turnovers and lapses on D.

In the second half we adjusted out defensive hedging in the zone and made a run.

Emery has been awesome at getting traffic rebounds tonight.

The good and bad of Fischer and KC on display. Davis finally wakes up.

The final sequence of plays gets Fischer some easy looks which he misses and he tries to force a game-winner.
Typical BYU as they can hit the difficult heavily contested shots but can't seem to hit the easy look shots. Had BYU hit a majority of those easy looks they win the game easily. :roll:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I never want to hear that officials don't cost a team a game. They missed an obvious goal-tending on Valpo in the first half. BYU should have had two more points that the officials stole from the Cougars.

BYU still had their chances and didn't take advantage of them. That was an awful shot by KC late in the game. They sucked in too deep on that final three by Valpo, leaving him wide open.

But the refs stole two points from BYU in a two-point game.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:I never want to hear that officials don't cost a team a game. They missed an obvious goal-tending on Valpo in the first half. BYU should have had two more points that the officials stole from the Cougars.

BYU still had their chances and didn't take advantage of them. That was an awful shot by KC late in the game. They sucked in too deep on that final three by Valpo, leaving him wide open.

But the refs stole two points from BYU in a two-point game.
As you noted, byu had chances to win by way more than 2 points. That missed goaltend shouldn't have mattered.

I thought it was interesting that Fischer was moving more lateral than straight ahead. If you're going to take the 3, charge full speed ahead and make your defender stop and react, that is one of the most difficult things to do as a defender. Fischer moving sideways made that MUCH easier to defend.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Tons of opportunities. Oh well, it was fun.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

I only saw the second half, but my question is, what happened to the three ball. I didn't see more than one of two shots from the three point line. They just shut our 3-point game down?

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."