How big is KC's triple double record?

BYU Cougars on the court.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: How big is KC's triple double record?

Post by BroncoBot »

Gunk wrote:
UCChris wrote:I guarantee if KC was a player for Kansas or some big shot, every triple double he got would make headlines. "Kansas' point guard double Shaq's triple double record" sounds much more enticing than "BYU's Kyle Collinsworth doubles Shaw's NCCA record".
If BYU played anywhere near to its potential this season and made it to the Sweet 16, people would be talking abouth KC's record.

Instead, his accomplishment adds to the perception of the WCC being weak - if you're an above average athlete you can rip off triple doubles all day long in the WCC. Pundits/critics simply claim KC wouldn't be able to get so many triple doubles if he were playing in the ACC, Big 12, etc.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
+1 from me for bringing up a good point. Not that I necessarily like it...

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:
UCChris wrote:I guarantee if KC was a player for Kansas or some big shot, every triple double he got would make headlines. "Kansas' point guard double Shaq's triple double record" sounds much more enticing than "BYU's Kyle Collinsworth doubles Shaw's NCCA record".
If BYU played anywhere near to its potential this season and made it to the Sweet 16, people would be talking abouth KC's record.

Instead, his accomplishment adds to the perception of the WCC being weak - if you're an above average athlete you can rip off triple doubles all day long in the WCC. Pundits/critics simply claim KC wouldn't be able to get so many triple doubles if he were playing in the ACC, Big 12, etc.

I don't like it either, but unfortunately it's likely the case.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Maybe true, however no one else from any other "weak conference" has been piling up triple doubles either, so there is something noteworthy going on regardless of where he plays.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

BYULV wrote:
Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:

Maybe true, however no one else from any other "weak conference" has been piling up triple doubles either, so there is something noteworthy going on regardless of where he plays.
And no one else from this "weak conference" is doing it either... If that assessment were true we'd certainly see more people in conference even getting one...

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

ABYUFAN wrote:
BYULV wrote:
Gunk wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Gunk wrote:

And no one else from this "weak conference" is doing it either... If that assessment were true we'd certainly see more people in conference even getting one...
Oh, I agree. I'm just pointing out likely perceptions and reasons as to why ESPN doesn't have a KC triple doubles counter on their home page.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

KC has made it look ridiculously easy. We have already forgotten how rare these are in the college game. I believe it was on BYUSN the other day that someone from SDSU tweeted that their entire school has only posted one triple double in their history and KC has 12 by himself. Whether it will be remembered by non-BYU fans or not, it's still an incredible accomplishment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BlueK wrote:KC has made it look ridiculously easy. We have already forgotten how rare these are in the college game. I believe it was on BYUSN the other day that someone from SDSU tweeted that their entire school has only posted one triple double in their history and KC has 12 by himself. Whether it will be remembered by non-BYU fans or not, it's still an incredible accomplishment.
Well said. If you do something amazing, and nobody sees it, it's still amazing.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

EM_Puma wrote:
Gunk wrote:As cool as KC's feat will be, I suspect it will be lost among NCAA lore and become one of those random facts used to stump people.

Probably. If you watch the progression this year of the adding on to the record, it has seldom made the main article listing on the ESPN home page for MBB.

For me it just shows how unusual it is to have a player playing point that has the ability to make as many rebounds as Kyle has. The standard point guard forever has not been of that mold. It appears to me more of an anomaly more than a new movement of where basketball is progressing and therefore the record will once again fall behind the scenes and few, outside of BYU, will remember who holds that record.
if triple doubles co or elated with championships this would be much more significant. Oscar robertson nearly averaged a TD over his 14 year career and won one championship. Jason kidd? similar. currently Westbrook is racking up TDs, but they can't win when it matters most. it's a phenomenal individual acheivement, but that's about it.