Correct Me If my B-Ball Logic is Flawed...

BYU Cougars on the court.
kfilly20
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Correct Me If my B-Ball Logic is Flawed...

Post by kfilly20 »

Duke and North Carolina are pretty decent and they shoot a ton of threes. The fact is a 3 isnt a hard shot in college, so its actually something a lot of colleges are encouraging ...... when they are open.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

You also see quite a bit of zone which makes it possible to swing it and get some good looks from downtown, I like the three pointer.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

You also see teams that shoot the 3 AND have a powerful inside presence. Sorry, but we don't. When we shoot poor 3's, we sink like the titanic. (how do you like that analogy? Pretty good, i know)

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by beauso79 »

One problem is that BYU, at times, abandons any sort of post play and tends to UP-CHUCK threes for extended periods even when they aren't falling.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

beauso79 wrote:One problem is that BYU, at times, abandons any sort of post play and tends to UP-CHUCK threes for extended periods even when they aren't falling.
Preach it, brother

beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by beauso79 »

The stupid thing it's not like Miles or Hartsock CAN'T score IF given the opportunity down low. They just need more touches closer to the basket,.

kfilly20
Freshman

Post by kfilly20 »

Miles cant really score anywhere

KYCoug
Sophomore

Post by KYCoug »

I think the point should be moving the ball to a spot where you get an open shot...if it's a 2 or a 3 isn't as significant as if the shot is open or not. If we are shooting well defended forced 3's then there is a problem, if we are moving it around and inside-out and getting open 3's that's OK even if we miss a few the percentages will work out. To do that you have to have an inside presence to keep the defence honest. I'm not sure Miles can consistently do that.

Go Cougs

L Hatton
Louisville KY

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

I've seen a lot of the argument of, "well, if they're open, take them."
But the fact of the matter is - and I'm not saying this isn't the case - our guys should be spending more time practicing on how to get the open INSIDE shot, or the open layup. On any team or league I've ever played basketball in, I'd say a good 95% of our actual practice time was spent on plays that got the easy inside shot.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Italics wrote:I've seen a lot of the argument of, "well, if they're open, take them."
But the fact of the matter is - and I'm not saying this isn't the case - our guys should be spending more time practicing on how to get the open INSIDE shot, or the open layup. On any team or league I've ever played basketball in, I'd say a good 95% of our actual practice time was spent on plays that got the easy inside shot.
That's the difference between your leagues and NCAA. These guys have proven they can shoot.

Having said that, I wish BYU had more of an inside presence, but they will live and die with the 3 until they do. I don't know who is going to step up and become that presence, but someday it might happen. I feel BYU often gets one dimensional which leads to predictability which leads to opposing defense having their way. Very frustrating to watch the last couple UNLV vs BYU games because of this.