What to do about JT?

BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What to do about JT?

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm a huge fan of JT and his game. He's a very nice guy and a good ball player and he's been an integral part in the team for three years and there is nothing to believe he won't be again this year. But something has to be done. I think six games is a sufficient amount of games to be patient and let things work themselves out. That said, I think it might be time to have JT sit (at least not start) for a game or two.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hartsock start against San Francisco. JT is in a major slump, I'll have to go look at his stats, but it might be his worst six-game stretch of his career.

Through six games, he is shotting .338 from the floor, .286 from three and .667 from the line. He is rebounding well (team's leading rebounder in rpg and but is fifth in rebs per min at 4.6). His PAP (points available percentage) is a paltry .338 - good for last on the team) and his true shooting percentage is .414 - also good for last on the team.

Against Utah State he shot .091 from the floor, .200 from three and .500 from the line. His PAP was .138 and TS% .168. It's time for him to watch a game from the bench. Come off the bench and get some confidence back and then return to the starting lineup.

And much like last year, his perception is being hurt because of how well some other teammates are shooting. By comparison, Jimmer's PAP and TS% are .545 and .623. Emery's are .544 and .731. Hartsock is .696 and .721. Davies is .690 and .711. Even Haws (currently the second worst shooter on the team) has a PAP of .439 and a TS% of .483.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Italics
Heisman Winner

Re: What to do about JT?

Post by Italics »

JT is just horribly inconsistent. He's got talent, but he's horribly inconsistent.
Not sure what his issue is. I don't really even consider him a "star" talent on the team. Difference makers show up game after game (like with Jimmer and Emery). Difference makers have a slumpy game every now and then, but that's it.

With JT, it's not a matter of him being in a "slump." This is just how he plays. He plays very well in about 20% of the games, and is mediocre to poor in the rest. He's an X factor, not a star.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

He also led the team against Utah State in rebounds (8) and tied for the lead in steals.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
cougdoc
BLUEshirt

Post by cougdoc »

I think the point by both Kitic and Italics is that JT is unpredictable and inefficient, and they are right. Not to go all David Locke here, but the numbers don't lie (except maybe for Anderson and Magnusson; sample size is too small). So far this season:

Rebounds per 40 minutes
Magnusson 19.1
Davies 11.4
Miles 9.5
Abouo 9.2
Hartsock 8.9
JT 8.7

Steals per 40 minutes
Emery 4.1
Anderson 3.0
Abouo 2.8
Fredette 2.4
JT 2.3

And JT's offensive inefficiency is well-documented and inarguable. However, I like the wild card factor that JT brings, and we will need him to play big if we want to beat Nevada, ? Tulsa, Arizona, ASU, UNM and UNLV. But JT has played more minutes than anybody except Jimmer. Maybe that isn't the best thing for our team right now.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

cougdoc wrote: JT has played more minutes than anybody except Jimmer. Maybe that isn't the best thing for our team right now.
That very well may be true. Too bad. Coach Rose really thought he would be much better than ever after his practice and play this summer on the Brazilian National team.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
cougdoc
BLUEshirt

Post by cougdoc »

Mars wrote:
cougdoc wrote: JT has played more minutes than anybody except Jimmer. Maybe that isn't the best thing for our team right now.
That very well may be true. Too bad. Coach Rose really thought he would be much better than ever after his practice and play this summer on the Brazilian National team.
I was excited that JT was getting national team experience over the summer, but it looks like it just reinforced his enjoyment of International-style basketball, which places a premium on quantity of possesions over quality. I remember hearing either Thurl or Pace tell an on-air story about the end of a European basketball league game. The two teams were tied with under 30 seconds left. Team A had the ball, and was intentionally fouled by Team B, even though it resulted in two free throws, because Team B desperately wanted the last shot. Team A made both free throws, and then intentionally fouled Team B just to get the ball back. Team B made both free throws, Team A missed a desparation shot, and the game went into overtime. Pace/Thurl was pointing out how international players assume that good offense will beat any defense and expend their energy accordingly. I'm not saying JT is like that, because he rebounds and plays reasonably good defense, but he does seem to have the mentality that if he shoots enough, enough will go in to be effective.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

I don't have a problem with JT shooting the ball. I have a problem with the kind of shots he shoots. He isn't capable of creating anything so he should only be shooting the ball off a pass or pump faking and driving. Of course in my opinion Hartsock should start.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
Yndian
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Yndian »

Greg Wrubell floated the idea of moving JT to Tyler Haws' starting spot and starting Noah at the 4. link Thoughts?

If Jackson is held out this Saturday (which wouldn't surprise me), Coach Rose could start JT at the 3 on Saturday and start Noah at the 4, just to see how it works out.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Moving JT to the 3 instead of the bench is definitely something to think about as well. I hadn't considered that. It's probably a more natural position for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach Rose tinker with tomorrow's lineup.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!