Jacksons D = elite

BYU Cougars on the court.
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Jacksons D = elite

Post by craigoscarson »

I posted this on the Haws thread, but honestly Jackson Emery deserves his own thread currently.

Jimmer is without a doubt the best player on this team, however
Jackson Emery just might be the MVP.

He just had back to back shutouts of the oppposing teams top scorer.
Dwain Williams went 16,20,17 in his previous three games and ZERO with Jackson guarding him (at home even)
Gilchrest the previous game to 3 (he had gone for 21,19 previously)
Dunson of Bradley to ZERO in 25 min (Dunson broke his arm in the next game and is done for the season) but Jackson goose-egged him

We've had guys in the past that can score 20 a game, etc. BUT we have not had a guard that could defend the way that Jackson does since Tyler Haws dad....

Emery for MVP of this team right now; he's the biggest difference from last year and the most improved of the bunch. Defense may never get the oohs and ahhs like offense does, but when I look at the numbers of the players that Jackson has guarded, it's off the charts good.
He's the biggest reason we've had comfortable margins of victory so far this season.

snoscythe
Retired

Re: Jacksons D = elite

Post by snoscythe »

craigoscarson wrote:Defense may never get the oohs and ahhs like offense does
There were oohs and ahhs last night when he blocked the dunk by going over the top of the rim.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Great point craigo. I'm glad I don't have to face someone like Emery every Wednesday when we play ball. The guy is a lockdown genius.

One of the best parts of this years team will be Emery shutting down most of the scorers he faces. Now if we could only get some defensive talent like that in the frontourt.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

declocoug wrote:Great point craigo. I'm glad I don't have to face someone like Emery every Wednesday when we play ball. The guy is a lockdown genius.

One of the best parts of this years team will be Emery shutting down most of the scorers he faces. Now if we could only get some defensive talent like that in the frontourt.
I'd take any talent in the frontcourt... Chris Miles' game has really regressed. The one game I saw in person last year, at Tulsa, Chris really put it on Jerome Jordan (a sure fire lottery pick this season).. I was hoping to see more of that this year....

Hartsock (like Loyd, Abouo, and Morgan) always manages to maximize his minutes and Davies is a man child that simply needs some time to learn the game at this level.

I'd love to have a Haffa right now with all the talent we have at the 1-3.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Jackson is great, no doubt.

BYU's problem is our poor post D and lack of physicality among the big men. And sadly, Emery can't help make up for that...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars