KBYU didn't ask to show non-mtn. games?

BYU Cougars on the court.
Yndian
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

KBYU didn't ask to show non-mtn. games?

Post by Yndian »

So, on the other board there's a discussion about the TV schedule for basketball, and why KBYU can't show the games that the mtn. doesn't. I mentioned that the mtn. has all the rights and doesn't give them up, and in reply, Idaho Coog said:
I talked to mtn supervisors about this very idea, and their reply was that KBYU had not even been considered to televise these games, because KBYU had not even asked if they could, or even broached the subject. They seemed to imply that if KBYU had sought permission, there would be a very good chance it may have been granted.

Maybe a little money would have to change hands, but perhaps KBYU could obtain the rights for a simple assurance that they would advertise the mtn ... at least saying often that the game came as a good will gesture from the mtn. Hey, they're not evil ogres up there ... just businessmen trying to sell their product ... and should know a little good advertising will accomplish that end, and both sides will profit from the BYU game being aired.
That just doesn't seem right to me. I can understand if they didn't ask this year because they have asked and been shut down or weren't willing to pay however much the mtn. was asking in the past, but I find it hard to believe they haven't asked. Anyone have any light to shed on the subject?

Y&Brit
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: KBYU didn't ask to show non-mtn. games?

Post by Y&Brit »

BYU has paid lots of $$$ for advertising, I mean thousands. It's good to show games, but if they can limit them for now hopefully more people will show up. But since this is 1-a road game 2-starts at 10pm at night this would've been a good one. Of course it may be Hawai'i to blame in this case

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Y&Brit wrote:BYU has paid lots of $$$ for advertising, I mean thousands. It's good to show games, but if they can limit them for now hopefully more people will show up. But since this is 1-a road game 2-starts at 10pm at night this would've been a good one. Of course it may be Hawai'i to blame in this case

Hawaii is offering a pay-per-view version of the game. Not to mention it would have been expensive to ship a broadcasting crew to Hawaii.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

KBYU could do the games and allow the mountain the right to reply the game on their channel. That would be the best of both worlds.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

BYU doesn't own the rights to away games, and the Mtn. owns the rights to conference games and regular season home games.

BYU owns the right to pre-season game and home tournament games, that's it. And then BYU can try to get the game on KBYU and/or BYUTV.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars