Next Up: Hawaii

BYU Cougars on the court.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Next Up: Hawaii

Post by Mars »

BYU plays it's first road game of the season this Friday at Hawaii, 10:00pm MST. The game audio will be available at KSL.com.

The Rainbow Warriors lost to Northern Colorado today, 75-81: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... &type=lgns

Hawaii is 2-1 now, with a 65-48 win over Southern Utah and a 73-65 win over McNeese State. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/hae

They are led by Dwain Williams, who is averaging 17.7 points scored per game.

Currently, Coach Dave Rose has 99 wins with the Cougars. A road win at Hawaii would make an even hundred! He also has the highest win-percentage of any BYU men's basketball coach.
Last edited by Mars on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
gmj81
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Next Up: Hawaii

Post by gmj81 »

This is the Coach's fifth year coaching and potentially in his third game of the season he could hit 100 W's for his career. If we play on average of about 35 games a season including MWC and NCAA tourneys, and he wins on average 25-28 games a year, it would take him another 16 years to hit 500. Will Coach Rose be coaching that long?

2009-10: ?????
2008-09: 25-8
2007-08: 27-8
2006-07: 25-9
2005-06: 20-9

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect this team, with its depth, to win 30+ games this year. We might drop a couple games in conference like in the past but I don't think any other team is as strong as the Cougs. As for the non-conference slate, I toughest challenges are Utah State, Arizona State and Arizona and I think all three of those programs won't have as good of seasons as they had last year.

If Coach Rose averaged 30 or more wins a year he could hit the half-millennium mark in as little as 12 more seasons. And with the way his recruiting continues to pull in better and better recruits, I don't think that is necessarily out of the realm of possibility if his health and competitive drive allow it.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote:
BYU plays it's first road game of the season this Friday at Hawaii, 7:00pm MST. The game audio will be available at KSL.com.
Online video streaming available through Hawaii for those of you with seven spare dollars.

https://secure.oceanic.com/Streaming/

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

gmj81 wrote: This is the Coach's fifth year coaching and potentially in his third game of the season he could hit 100 W's for his career. If we play on average of about 35 games a season including MWC and NCAA tourneys, and he wins on average 25-28 games a year, it would take him another 16 years to hit 500. Will Coach Rose be coaching that long?
Man, I just hope he is healthy enough to coach out this entire season...

When he does get #100, it will be the fastest this has been done in BYU's history though.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

Dave Rose's health is fine. Everything he goes through from here on out will be precautionary (and unlikely to show more cancer) but neurendocrine tumors are not metastatic and he should have a long healthy life. He does have to live without a spleen now and I'm not sure what types of medications he's on as a result of the pancreas surgery (possibly corticosteroids and maybe insulin but I haven't read anything that would suggest that).

I don't think we've yet seen what this team looks like on the road so a 30 win season is probably not yet something we can count on; at least until we see how these guys respond to a little adversity.

Chris Miles is sadly not improved from last year; which was the hope of many so there is going to be some question of viability during tourney time if we dont' have a solid big man. Brandon Davies is a baby (he's nearly a year younger than Tyler Haws) and his improvement during the year (and literal growth as he may not be done growing) will be a major key in our progression.

I don't think any said that Noah Hartsock would be an all star last season (pretty hard to do with you come off your mission in late august and aren't redshirted) - he had a bum ankle right off the bat, however had some huge minutes late in the season; including some game saving rebounds, blocks and putbacks against the likes of SDSU, etc.
He's a lot like Tyler Haws in that he knows where to be on the court, has great vision and knows how to score around the glass. Considering he scored nearly 30 a game in 5a-6a Oklahoma, I think there's more to come from Noah. Again, he's just a soph. Last year was his 1st year of any college basketball as he went on his mission prior to playing ball.

I expect Hawaii to test us: #1 they'll get up for this game and there will be a crowd (much of which will root for us) #2 they have experienced european players that have been around the block a few times.
This game will come down to how fundamentally sound we play in the 1st half. If we can put Hawaii away and force our will on them, I think they'll fade (confidence-wise) in the 2nd half. If we jack up bad shots, turn over the ball, and let Hawaii have layups, it's going to be tight to the end.

It would help if JT made his shots...
(last nights box score)

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=293210252

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

It'll be interesting to see if the late start makes the Cougs tire a bit sooner. I think we are deep enough that it won't kill us, but you have to figure tip-off at 10pm Provo time is going to be a bit odd.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the late start makes the Cougs tire a bit sooner. I think we are deep enough that it won't kill us, but you have to figure tip-off at 10pm Provo time is going to be a bit odd.
BYUCougars.com said it's a 7:00pm game. You think that's in the tip-off time in Hawaii? That... would suck.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote:
snoscythe wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the late start makes the Cougs tire a bit sooner. I think we are deep enough that it won't kill us, but you have to figure tip-off at 10pm Provo time is going to be a bit odd.
BYUCougars.com said it's a 7:00pm game. You think that's in the tip-off time in Hawaii? That... would suck.
ESPN.com is listing it as 12:05 Eastern, and the Hawaii site is selling the PPV based on 7 pm local time.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboar ... &confId=44

*edit--the BYU schedule has this at the bottom: "All times Local to Game Site."

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Any tv for the game?

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

All the cougar games are really late for me in the Central time zone.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb