BYU vs ISU Bengals 7:30 MST Radio only

BYU Cougars on the court.
GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs ISU Bengals 7:30 MST Radio only

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

My favorite defensive play of his last season, literally most amazing play I've ever seen...

Screen seals on-ball defender, leaving only Jax to cover the drive AND the post on the same side. Commits to the dribble (duh), post L-moves baseline, and Jax goes FLAT OUT HORIZONTAL to tip the pass, not a reason in HELL he should have gotten so much as a fingertip on it, hits the floor HARD, but pops up so fast he actually beats the would-be recipient to the loose ball. I almost CRIED.

I'm SO psyched to see what he's going to do for us this season!

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:My favorite defensive play of his last season, literally most amazing play I've ever seen...

Screen seals on-ball defender, leaving only Jax to cover the drive AND the post on the same side. Commits to the dribble (duh), post L-moves baseline, and Jax goes FLAT OUT HORIZONTAL to tip the pass, not a reason in HELL he should have gotten so much as a fingertip on it, hits the floor HARD, but pops up so fast he actually beats the would-be recipient to the loose ball. I almost CRIED.

I was at the Tulsa game when he literally got flipped on his head and shoulder...

Ironically, Charles Abouo had his best game of the year and shut down all of Tulsas guards when Jackson went out.

Miles outplayed Tulsas future NBA bigman too..

There's a chance we play Tulsa later this year (and Tulsa returns those guys) that would be a very good game, but we dont' win it if JT doesn't start making shots.

Hawaii isn't going to be a cakewalk next game, we will need to play well.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

craigoscarson wrote:"There were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with a trident"

How do I get my avatar off CB?
Go to CB, right-click on your avatar, choose Save As. Remember where you save it. Then go into your profile here, near the bottom there's a place for uploading your avatar from your hard drive.

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

I think you and I assumed Charles would make us forget Lee. I'm not sure it won't be Tyler this year. The kid comes in and leads the team in rebounds the first game, then leads the team in assists in this one. I'm really liking what he has to offer!

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

GolfDiveNCougs wrote:I think you and I assumed Charles would make us forget Lee. I'm not sure it won't be Tyler this year. The kid comes in and leads the team in rebounds the first game, then leads the team in assists in this one. I'm really liking what he has to offer!

Its wierd too because Charles has one of the top rebounds and points per minutes played byt he's not getting the type of consistent minutes that we expected; especially after his reported success in Europe and Africa this summer.

I talked to him and Jimmer on the phone this summer and Jimmer told me that Charles would shock people with how much he's improved; so maybe this is just a sign that Haws and Abouo are going to be a tremendous tandem at the 3 (and that we'll still forget Lee)

beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by beauso79 »

craigoscarson wrote:
GolfDiveNCougs wrote:My favorite defensive play of his last season, literally most amazing play I've ever seen...

I was at the Tulsa game when he literally got flipped on his head and shoulder...

Ironically, Charles Abouo had his best game of the year and shut down all of Tulsas guards when Jackson went out.

There's a chance we play Tulsa later this year (and Tulsa returns those guys) that would be a very good game, but we dont' win it if JT doesn't start making shots.

I'm sorry but I'm ready for the JT ERA to be over with. I'd love to see what Hartsock could do with a full-time gig. If we live and die on JT's game showing up it's going to be a long season. Hartsock has looked good in limited minutes and has a soft touch around basket and at least Hartsock tries to score in the paint. I don't think I've seen JT score in the post yet this year. It will be sweet having Hartsock and CC man the 4 for us next year.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

beauso79 wrote:
craigoscarson wrote:

I'm sorry but I'm ready for the JT ERA to be over with. I'd love to see what Hartsock could do with a full-time gig. If we live and die on JT's game showing up it's going to be a long season. Hartsock has looked good in limited minutes and has a soft touch around basket and at least Hartsock tries to score in the paint. I don't think I've seen JT score in the post yet this year. It will be sweet having Hartsock and CC man the 4 for us next year.
I think we kind of dispelled the fact that we live and die on JTs game showing up. We dominated this game and JT didn't show up offensively. That doesn't mean that we don't need JT; we do. He's a better option than Hartsock and brings more to the team. And yes, he'll have nights like this; but if you recall, most fans on the old board had their panties in a wad til JT said he was coming back.
Why? Because JT has the ability to nearly single handidly win games when he's on. Hartsock is solid (remember you'e talking to a real life friend of the Hartsock family) but JT has not only earned his starting spot, he deserves it with his ability. He has incredbly quick hands on defense, he's a great passer, he's a solid free throw shooter and deadly outside when he's on.
It's good to see that we don't need JT to win and win big, but there will be games that we'll all be very glad he's a Cougar. Tonight just wasn't one.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

beauso79 wrote: I'm ready for the JT ERA to be over with. I'd love to see what Hartsock could do with a full-time gig.
JT led the team in both rebounding and assists last season and was 2nd in scoring. So far this season, he hasn't duplicated that, but in the off-season after he came back from the Brazilian National Team Coach Rose said JT was improved from a season ago. We're lucky he didn't go pro internationally somewhere. I think he'll be our 2nd best player again this season, give him time. And I think we will miss his play next season (though he's not completely "unreplaceable").

The look we haven't seen much yet this season with Tavernari is when he is playing with both Miles and Davies in the game. I'm curious how that might help to play up his strengths.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
kiwibacon
All-American

Post by kiwibacon »

Ok...so I did not watch the game but reading from the MWCboard I noticed that BYU shot 14 out of 15 from the line. Is that stat right? I don't remember BYU being that good from the line last year. What I do remember is that we had a few players that we 50% shooters and some that were 80-90% shooters...but I don't know what the team was as a whole. What did we shoot from the line in earlier games. I hope that we will be consistent in that time of free throw shooting. That can make a close game turn into a comfortable win.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

kiwibacon wrote:Ok...so I did not watch the game but reading from the MWCboard I noticed that BYU shot 14 out of 15 from the line. Is that stat right? I don't remember BYU being that good from the line last year. What I do remember is that we had a few players that we 50% shooters and some that were 80-90% shooters...but I don't know what the team was as a whole. What did we shoot from the line in earlier games. I hope that we will be consistent in that time of free throw shooting. That can make a close game turn into a comfortable win.
I think the ft% was a bit of a fluke; don't get used to it. Davies and Miles are poor ft shooters; however Haws knows how to get to the line and is a great ft shooter, Emery has improved from the line and gets fouled a lot and Jimmer is going to get his; so who knows maybe we'll improve a tad.
(If I recall correctly, Haws shot 24/24 in a single high school game from the line last year; he's used to getting abused and making opposing teams pay for it)

The issue will always be with our big men and their touches... I don't think that % will change much from last year when it's all settled; but the rest of our offense has improved enough to help cushion the blow of having Miles on the line during games.