BYU vs ISU Bengals 7:30 MST Radio only

BYU Cougars on the court.
Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU vs ISU Bengals 7:30 MST Radio only

Post by Qman »

Wasn't this the game we won by 20 points but there was almost a brawl?

This should be fun to do again.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU vs ISU Bengals 7:30 MST Radio only

Post by craigoscarson »

Their head coach threatened to "kick Dave Rose's" ass...

Welcome to Provo coach...

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

craigoscarson wrote:Their head coach threatened to "kick Dave Rose's" ass...

Welcome to Provo coach...
That seems rather inappropriate for what Coach Rose has been through. I guess the dude does live in Idaho though, they seem to have some serious problems up there :roll:

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

Craig! Welcome to the dark side! Gotta respect you for showing the loyalty you did to the other site, but glad you're here (afterall, they shoulda thought about giving a bit of loyalty BACK). And I'm glad to have another roundball-first fan over here too. Should make the basketball discussions better than they have been.

Oh, Hawk, Craig's referring to the kafuffle when we played them last year, so to be fair to the guy, even Rose didn't know what he'd be going through at the time. Still, I don't know why, but I'd have LOVED to see what'd happen if O'brien TRIED to take a swing at Rose. Something tells me a 6'6" 250lb Rose would be able to make short order of the situation. :evil:

Too bad nobody'll be able to see it on TV. This mtn pissin' contest with BYUTV is getting a little old.

I actually see this as being a good learning experience for our team. ISU may have lost a lot of starters (don't remember), but they're a senior-laden team this year, which should mean they've got some maturity to them. Looking at the box scores from their first two games, it looks like their coach is whittling down their rotation. Their first game, against Iowa State, saw 9 guys on the court with at least 10 minutes of playing time. The second game, against Bradley, put only 7 guys on the court for at least 10 minutes. Their two exhibition games saw 8 apiece. (For comparison, our two exhibitions saw 10 and 11 players with at least 10 minutes, and our Bradley game saw 9.) Too early to tell if the ISU trend will stick, but it may mean their coach isn't a fan of their depth.

Still they're pretty similar to us in that they get most of their offensive productivity from their guards. They also look to play on the small side. They start a 7-footer (Lithuanian kid), but he hasn't gotten more than 23 minutes either of their first two games, and it's not because of foul trouble (3 total fouls in two games). He averaged 2 points, 5 rebounds in the first two. Meh. Their productive post player last game (majority of the minutes, points, etc) is a 6'8" kid, but he didn't see much time in their first game. Interesting. Not sure what to make of it then. Hopefully it'll mean our bigs will get some experience without getting overly exposed or making themselves a liability (read: Miles). They've got a crossover 2/3 at 6'5 who's pretty productive, and they've got 2 small guards (6'0 and 6'2) that get most of the PT, the team high-scorer being the smaller of the two. Hopefully a bigger guard on him will squelch that as well. Mr. Gilchrest, meet the returning MWC defensive player of the year, Jackson Emery. Good luck! :lol:

Good AND bad news is, this won't be a cakewalk. I'm not worried, but they'll not just disappear because we show up. They didn't make the Iowa State game much of a contest, but they played Bradley tight (had the lead under 3 minutes left), on the road. I'd spot 'em a few points for being away, and put them about on par with Bradley. If that's true, and we can improve on last game, we'd probably do just fine to end this in the 15 point range. Couple bounces, couple calls go their way, they get emotional, and we could be looking at a tight game.

I'll say with as many seniors as they play, they'll have learned about as much from their last game as we did, so I'll say another 10 point win.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

Interesting, I didn't think Idaho State would be that good this year. Thanks for the great breakdown!

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Yea that is better breakdown than any of the local newspapers.

At home we should roll.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

Qman wrote:Yea that is better breakdown than any of the local newspapers.
Well, thank you for the compliments, guys, but what's funny is that I was being serious when I said all I did was look at the box scores from the last two games. It's really not rocket surgery, which brings me to your point, Q... How bleeding hard is it to do what I did for a local paper writeup? Took 20 minutes! Oh well.

Anyway, yeah, should be a decent test and a decent learning experience without the hastle of doubting the outcome too much.

49erCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by 49erCoug »

The really stupid thing about the game not being on tv.. Atleast on my schedule from comcast for the Mtn.. Replays of press conferences.. Nothing live... LAME.. why have the network if you aren't going to put the games on it anyway?

GolfDiveNCougs
Sophomore

Post by GolfDiveNCougs »

I agree completely, Five-Oh. I understand that there is a financial requirement for the mtn to put a gamestaff, equipment and announcers at a game, even if there isn't any other live programming, so from that perspective, I can see to where they'd try and weigh what avertising dollars they'd make for what it'd cost to get the game on the air. If advertising didn't cover costs, it isn't gonna go on air. I get that.

What I don't get is why the mtn isn't willing to allow any games they're not picking up to be shown on BYUTV. There are no (well, minimal) sunken costs for anyone, as BYUTV is self-sufficinent. It honestly reminds me a little of the DirecTV / Versus spat, exept NOBODY'S losing money if BYUTV carries games that mtn has rights to but has decided they're not showing. Nobody's ever given me an acceptable explanation why this is the case that doesn't sound like testosterone-laden-pissin'-contest!!! Grr.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

So is the only way to catch this game really just KSL.com?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars