My Expectations for this season

BYU Cougars on the court.
EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

My Expectations for this season

Post by EM_Puma »

My expectations for this basketball season have already changed. JT said this in an interview on DesNews:

"We're going to do some things here that have never been done before, I can just taste it. We have that good of a team. When we put all of these pieces together, we can be so dangerous and we can be so explosive."

When I saw Rose go to a lineup of Jimmer, JT, Emery, Davies and Haws, I got excited as that would be something profoundly different than where I thought we end up this season and I was a bit worried about status quo. I knew we were deep, but unless we do something different than last year, I don't see losing Cummard and just adding one more person to the starting rotation as being anything that would take us in a different direction than where we were last year, which was good, but that's all--nothing great.

We'll see, but I at least have more optimisim for the season in going farther than we have gone before (which really isn't that far since we're only talking actually winning ONE NCAA tournament game.)

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: My Expectations for this season

Post by scott715 »

I suggest that they play Davies a lot this year and get him ready for the tournament. there will be growing pains but in the long run we come out ahead. Hartstock needs minutes too. I don't think Miles will get us there except for his defense. Rebounding is suspect. He is big just not real athletic. I would also get his eyes examined. It almost looks like he has a vison problem. When I got my glasses it made a huge difference in catching the ball and free throw shooting.

Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

scott715 wrote:I suggest that they play Davies a lot this year and get him ready for the tournament. there will be growing pains but in the long run we come out ahead. Hartstock needs minutes too. I don't think Miles will get us there except for his defense. Rebounding is suspect. He is big just not real athletic. I would also get his eyes examined. It almost looks like he has a vison problem. When I got my glasses it made a huge difference in catching the ball and free throw shooting.

I haven't seen anything from Hartsock yet.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Qman wrote:
scott715 wrote:I suggest that they play Davies a lot this year and get him ready for the tournament. there will be growing pains but in the long run we come out ahead. Hartstock needs minutes too. I don't think Miles will get us there except for his defense. Rebounding is suspect. He is big just not real athletic. I would also get his eyes examined. It almost looks like he has a vison problem. When I got my glasses it made a huge difference in catching the ball and free throw shooting.

Really? I think he's been pretty decent. I think he's a better option even at the 5 than Miles because he can score. He keeps the ball high, he's a good rebounder. I really liked the lineup we started with. It was quick and athletic and I think it's even a decent rebounding team.

So is the conclusion on here that Davies won't red-shirt? I really think I'd like to see him play and just learn. I'll take his raw athleticism and mistakes over the more experienced but less skilled Miles.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Qman
All-American

Post by Qman »

kitic77 wrote:
Qman wrote:

Really? I think he's been pretty decent. I think he's a better option even at the 5 than Miles because he can score. He keeps the ball high, he's a good rebounder. I really liked the lineup we started with. It was quick and athletic and I think it's even a decent rebounding team.

So is the conclusion on here that Davies won't red-shirt? I really think I'd like to see him play and just learn. I'll take his raw athleticism and mistakes over the more experienced but less skilled Miles.
All I have seen Hartsock do is make a little turnaround jumper and the next time down the court he tried the same move and turned the ball over.

Davies has looked much better than Miles but I won't if playing against quality D-1 bigs will be more difficult for Davies? Experience can count for a lot defensively in the post.

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb