Stamp on QB's Hand

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Stamp on QB's Hand

Post by Cougarpoke »

Something that I noticed a few years ago, and only recently noticed again. I remember John Beck's senior year he started to have a Y stamp on his non-throwing hand. The tradition has continued as Max Hall has been stamped all three years he has been starting. Does anyone know the significance of the stamp or where it came from? I would post an image if I knew how. Maybe others who have more time than I do at work can do so.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Stamp on QB's Hand

Post by snoscythe »

I had never noticed the hand stamp. I wonder if it is unique to the quarterbacks or if all the players have them. Might be to indicate they are over 21 and can drink the "pickle juice."

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I have see the Y on the QBs hands, it is like a long, thin 'Y' and you're right in that Beck had it and Max does now too. I have no idea if it went on before Beck, or if there is any special significance. I will look for pictures and see if I can get some up here.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougarpoke »

I am kind of weird in the fact that I notice slight changes in uniforms, helmets, and hand stamps. Before John Beck, I had never noticed the hand stamp. Furthermore, the stamp did not show up until Beck's senior year. I thought it had some significance in regards to passing on the torch to the next great Y passer. But, I could be very wrong. Just thought someone out there might have a better idea.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

I too noticed the "QB hand Y" last game. I just thought it was done with permanent marker, but you guys are right, it does look like a stamp. I wonder if Unga isn't allowed to have one. What about Nelson? ;)

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

An interesting thing I noticed though when I was looking for pictures of the hand stamp, Max didn't have it on during the Oklahoma game. Was that just a one game thing? Maybe they forgot the stamp in Provo? I don't know.

I know that Bronco was asked about the writing that the players have on their arms during the Wed. call in show on KSL and he said he is aware of it, but it's personal between the players and the individual loved ones they are choosing to honor. And the fact that these guys work their butts off all year long to have 12 moments to shine. He said he was glad they were doing it, and likes that it stays private. Thats a little different from the 'Y' stamp, but still interesting.

Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougarpoke »

I guess we will have to wait until next year to see if the next starting QB has a Y stamp on his hand. If so, then there is an argument that the QB's are passing the stamp down to the next in line. Kind of a cool tradition I suppose. I would rather they pass the Heisman down to the next guy in line, but that will come with time. hahah.

Cougarpoke
BLUEshirt

Post by Cougarpoke »

hawkwing wrote:An interesting thing I noticed though when I was looking for pictures of the hand stamp, Max didn't have it on during the Oklahoma game. Was that just a one game thing? Maybe they forgot the stamp in Provo? I don't know.

I know that Bronco was asked about the writing that the players have on their arms during the Wed. call in show on KSL and he said he is aware of it, but it's personal between the players and the individual loved ones they are choosing to honor. And the fact that these guys work their butts off all year long to have 12 moments to shine. He said he was glad they were doing it, and likes that it stays private. Thats a little different from the 'Y' stamp, but still interesting.
I just did a quick google image search of Max Hall at the OU game, and he did indeed have the stamp on. In fact, the picture that was posted in this thread is an image from the OU v. BYU game. I believe he has worn it every game. I am surprised that no one, media included, has not noticed the stamp and asked cougar QB's about it. The first time I noticed the stamp, John Beck was narrowly losing to Puktah at LES. Beck then sported the stamp all his senior year, then passed it down to Hall.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Cougarpoke wrote:
hawkwing wrote:An interesting thing I noticed though when I was looking for pictures of the hand stamp, Max didn't have it on during the Oklahoma game. Was that just a one game thing? Maybe they forgot the stamp in Provo? I don't know.

I just did a quick google image search of Max Hall at the OU game, and he did indeed have the stamp on. In fact, the picture that was posted in this thread is an image from the OU v. BYU game. I believe he has worn it every game. I am surprised that no one, media included, has not noticed the stamp and asked cougar QB's about it. The first time I noticed the stamp, John Beck was narrowly losing to Puktah at LES. Beck then sported the stamp all his senior year, then passed it down to Hall.
Interesting. I must have seen an image from the game, maybe in warmups or something before he had the stamp on.