Best players all freshmen?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
bball
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Best players all freshmen?

Post by bball »

This is not a diss on the older players, but the best players on the field today were all freshmen; Heaps, Hoffman, and Quezada. Has BYU ever had three freshmen start a game for them? have the freshman starters ever been the best players on the team?

Heaps looked great, Hoffman was impressive, and the Juice was very, very good. Considering, next year, we'll have another freshman (red shirt) on the field, Apo will be a starter, and might be better than Hoffman. I'm excited for next year already.

Other notes:
1) I think there's an opening at safety, and I'm not talking about Rich's position. UTEP just embarrassed Uale today. Maybe he will be good, I don't know, but he got exposed. Without Uale's failings at safety, I'm not sure UTEP would have scored a TD today.
2) I thought Anae called a pretty fair game today, but it doesn't change my belief that he's a lousy play caller.
3) I also think we're going to love Van Noy, that kid is going to be a great linebacker.
4) For a relatively young team, BYU looked rather impressive today.
5) we had no false starts today. These are veteran linemen, why were they all false starting the first five games? I hope these linemen remember how to play come September 2011.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Best players all freshmen?

Post by SpiffCoug »

Two of our best players on defense today, I thought were Rich (SR) and Manumaleuna (SO).

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
bball
Sophomore

Post by bball »

Obviously, I was talking offense, but I will miss Rich, he is a heck of a player.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

we did have one false start. JJ also had a very good game unless you were one of the morons behind me who talked about how bad he was every time he ran for 5 plus yards... but of course thats the exception, or has one good run per game.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Agreed that our best skill players today were the freshmen. Matt Reynolds is still the best player on the team right now, he just doesn't play quite as sexy a position.

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

bball wrote:This is not a diss on the older players, but the best players on the field today were all freshmen; Heaps, Hoffman, and Quezada. Has BYU ever had three freshmen start a game for them? have the freshman starters ever been the best players on the team?

Heaps looked great, Hoffman was impressive, and the Juice was very, very good. Considering, next year, we'll have another freshman (red shirt) on the field, Apo will be a starter, and might be better than Hoffman. I'm excited for next year already.

Other notes:
1) I think there's an opening at safety, and I'm not talking about Rich's position. UTEP just embarrassed Uale today. Maybe he will be good, I don't know, but he got exposed. Without Uale's failings at safety, I'm not sure UTEP would have scored a TD today.
2) I thought Anae called a pretty fair game today, but it doesn't change my belief that he's a lousy play caller.
3) I also think we're going to love Van Noy, that kid is going to be a great linebacker.
5) we had no false starts today. These are veteran linemen, why were they all false starting the first five games? I hope these linemen remember how to play come September 2011.
You forgot KVN.

EDIT: Okay, you didn't. But I would call him one of best players out on the field today. That kid is EXPLOSIVE.
Last edited by Italics on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I hope the NFL goes postal on itself so Reynolds decides to return. If he does our line is set. Terence Brown moves to RG, with Houston Reynolds at Center, and we are golden.

In 3 years, we will have the best line we ever had. Would be sooner, but missions are delaying that curve. Jordan Black and Ryker Matthews are going to dominate. If Reynolds leaves, I would not be shocked to see Braden Hansen play LT, and Ryker Mathews start at RT for us.

runbyu1
Sophomore

Post by runbyu1 »

bball wrote: Other notes:
I noticed this too. Uale got exposed OVER and OVER. It was like watching his predecessor (Steven Thomas) at the beginning of the season. Of course, this is nothing new...the person playing this position has been THE WEAKEST SPOT ON THE TEAM ALL YEAR.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Italics wrote:
bball wrote:This is not a diss on the older players, but the best players on the field today were all freshmen; Heaps, Hoffman, and Quezada. Has BYU ever had three freshmen start a game for them? have the freshman starters ever been the best players on the team?

Other notes:
You forgot KVN.

EDIT: Okay, you didn't. But I would call him one of best players out on the field today. That kid is EXPLOSIVE.
Yes. Kyle Van Noy & Andrew Rich - animals! All over the place!! Beasts!!!