Is the Big XII really BYU's goal?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Post by YNot »

Does BYU really want to play schools in Kansas, Iowa, and Missouri? Other than Texas and Oklahoma, I don't see much geographic or competitive sense in a move to the Big XII. BYU has way more alumni in California, Nevada, Colorado, Idaho, and yes, Texas (TCU and Houston) than Kansas, Iowa, or Missouri. In the Big XII, BYU would definitely be on an island.

I would think that the MWC, with BYU, TCU, Boise State, Air Force, and the additions of Fresno, Nevada, and Houston actually looks like a more desirable conference than the Big XII.

BYU can and should still push for greater exposure and bigger payouts. It has the infrastructure (broadcast facilities, stadium, etc.) and leverage (fanbase) to get 3 or 4 games on ESPN. But, perhaps the Mtn. could get a Saturday deal with CBS (before or after the SEC Saturday matchups).

I can also see the MWC negotiating now for much better bowl partnerships and payouts and better BCS access. The MWC is in a great position to go after berths in the Cotton and Holiday Bowls....and a solid tie-in with the Fiesta Bowl. The Las Vegas Bowl would finally fit in its rightful place, MWC #4 versus PAC 12 #4/5.

Finally, the MWC now has a pretty decent basketball league. BYU, New Mexico, UNLV, SDSU, now Nevada. Looks pretty strong. Fresno and Houston won't be bottom-dwellers.

Just some thoughts. The grass isn't necessarily greener in the Big XII. BYU may have unintentionally created a stronger MWC that can meet BYU's goals of exposure, prominence, and revenues....

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Is the Big XII really BYU's goal?

Post by Lawboy »

If exposure truly is BYU's goal, the BIG XII helps with that aim. The MWC does not, in any way shape or form, as constituted today, in 2 years or last year. Big XII helps maximize $$$. I think the goal is a BCS league, and seeing how the PAC-12 will not happen, the Big XII is it.

The Saturday deal with CBS is a pipe dream. Will not happen. CBS does not need BYU as much as ESPN does because ESPN needs some penetration in the west for athletics, while CBS in content with the SEC. ESPN has no coverage, other than the WAC out west. BYU remedies that for them.

Big XII or Indy in football.

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

Is going undefeated really BYU's goal?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
ProV1
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ProV1 »

YNot wrote:BYU may have unintentionally created a stronger MWC that can meet BYU's goals of exposure, prominence, and revenues....
Exposure: maybe. Is the new MWC going to get substantially more viewers nationwide? Will the Boise St. vs Wyoming or New Mexico vs Fresno St. or UNLV vs Nevada games do the trick?
Prominence: yes, AQ status would be gold.
Revenues: see exposure. Without huge TV deals (even with better bowl games and BCS accessibility) revenues will be only slightly better. Although, with more mouths to feed who knows what the cut would be.

I think an ESPN/independence deal will be the best thing until the Big XII comes calling. Tough call, though.