Independance Day: Is it on the way? Check out the link

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Y 4 Ever
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Independance Day: Is it on the way? Check out the link

Post by Y 4 Ever »

Maybe BYU's trying to pull a Texas - make everyone in the MWC terrified that we'll leave so that we can get whatever we want - broadcast rights, bigger slice of the money pie, not playing TCU, AFA, CSU, and (soon to be if they really slide into Utah's spot) BSU all on the road every other year.

Then, once they give us what we want, we say "ok, we'll stay. And you're all our b!tches"

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

33311710 wrote:Maybe BYU's trying to pull a Texas - make everyone in the MWC terrified that we'll leave so that we can get whatever we want - broadcast rights, bigger slice of the money pie, not playing TCU, AFA, CSU, and (soon to be if they really slide into Utah's spot) BSU all on the road every other year.

Then, once they give us what we want, we say "ok, we'll stay. And you're all our b!tches"
Personally, I think it is high time the block of 6 that always voted against BYU, Utah and TCU be reminded that they suck and no one cares about them nationally. I respect what TCU does, and new member BSU as well. That rest have done little (AFA not enough) to warrant even getting their paltry cut of the MTN deal. It is a huge turd BYU needs to stick back on those guys. It's called karma.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Lawboy wrote:
33311710 wrote:Maybe BYU's trying to pull a Texas - make everyone in the MWC terrified that we'll leave so that we can get whatever we want - broadcast rights, bigger slice of the money pie, not playing TCU, AFA, CSU, and (soon to be if they really slide into Utah's spot) BSU all on the road every other year.

Personally, I think it is high time the block of 6 that always voted against BYU, Utah and TCU be reminded that they suck and no one cares about them nationally. I respect what TCU does, and new member BSU as well. That rest have done little (AFA not enough) to warrant even getting their paltry cut of the MTN deal. It is a huge turd BYU needs to stick back on those guys. It's called karma.
Interesting thoughts. Im guessing that if Indy is the plan, that BYU would prefer to stay in the MWC for other sports. MWC will feel jilted and say "no way." Unless of course, ala Texas, we leverage ourselves into a all-but-football concession. Guessing thats where the WAC comes in. IF MWC says no, pretty certain WAC says yes. BUt again, an intriguing connection of the WAC contract with ESPN and that BYU Football would have a fit with football and the other sports--at least bball.

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

dmcougar wrote:Interesting thoughts. Im guessing that if Indy is the plan, that BYU would prefer to stay in the MWC for other sports. MWC will feel jilted and say "no way." Unless of course, ala Texas, we leverage ourselves into a all-but-football concession. Guessing thats where the WAC comes in. IF MWC says no, pretty certain WAC says yes. BUt again, an intriguing connection of the WAC contract with ESPN and that BYU Football would have a fit with football and the other sports--at least bball.
I find it interesting that in all of these conversations about independence the majority of people just assume that the MWC won't keep the other sports. BYU is by far and away their most marketable product athletically. You look at the stats for conference championships across all sports and BYU is dominating, and it's not even close.

Just an example: Total Tournament Championships
1. BYU- 100 championships
2. UNLV- 25 championships
3. Utah- 16 championships
http://www.themwc.com/champ/mwc-tourney ... champ.html

Sure the MWC would feel jilted but they would not be stupid enough to let go of the school who owns over half of all conference championships would they?

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarClaw »

CannonCougar85 wrote:
dmcougar wrote:Interesting thoughts. Im guessing that if Indy is the plan, that BYU would prefer to stay in the MWC for other sports. MWC will feel jilted and say "no way." Unless of course, ala Texas, we leverage ourselves into a all-but-football concession. Guessing thats where the WAC comes in. IF MWC says no, pretty certain WAC says yes. BUt again, an intriguing connection of the WAC contract with ESPN and that BYU Football would have a fit with football and the other sports--at least bball.
I find it interesting that in all of these conversations about independence the majority of people just assume that the MWC won't keep the other sports. BYU is by far and away their most marketable product athletically. You look at the stats for conference championships across all sports and BYU is dominating, and it's not even close.

Just an example: Total Tournament Championships
1. BYU- 100 championships
2. UNLV- 25 championships
3. Utah- 16 championships
http://www.themwc.com/champ/mwc-tourney ... champ.html

Sure the MWC would feel jilted but they would not be stupid enough to let go of the school who owns over half of all conference championships would they?
It's a great question and I've been wondering the same thing. I think my best answer is actually and unfortunately from the Pac-10. Championships and winning tradition mean nothing over scheduling and money (and screwing over the mormons!). If those sports didn't make money, drop em and make the conference more competitive.