Day 6 QB Battle

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Day 6 QB Battle

Post by CougarClaw »

I love this stuff. Reading it's like the highlight of my day.

Now, we seem to be trying to color the statistics by talking about a qb playing against the 1s 2s and 3rd defense.

I mean, you can only go so granular with your statistics but aren't each of those teams in transition as well? I mean, can't the 3rd string defense at the beginning of camp ultimately end up being the 1st string defense at the end of camp depending on how the individuals play? I realize you can only be so granular with your statistics just keep in mind that the 1s, 2s and 3s -- especially in some positions-- are in just as much flux as the qb spot

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Mars wrote:
kitic77 wrote: Fall Camp Stats:
Heaps: 39-61-2-454, 7 TDs, 157.76 rating, 63.9% complete. 9 TD drives, 1 FG drive.
Nelson: 30-49-0-373, 8 TDs, 179.04 rating, 61.2% complete. 9 TD drives, 4 FD drives.
Heaps: 12 series against the 1st-team D, 1 against the 3rd-team.
Nelson: 5 series against the 1st-team D, 6 against the 3rd team.
:bug:

Heaps also led the team to 2 rushing TDs and 2 missed field goal attempts.
Nelson has thrown 2 INTs in fall camp, though reporting 0 officially in 11x11s is technically correct as well.
Nelson also has 3 fumbles and 8 sacks to Heaps' 0 fumbles and 3 sacks.
Good research mars. now run the numbers for which offense they ran with. it is obvious that the coaches are giving more reps against the faster defense to heaps. that makes sense. they are seeing how he adjusts and given him the opp to get used to the d1 level.

but what does it say if they are giving more reps to him with the 1st team offense. that may suggest taht they are leaning more towards him as a starter because it is a high priority that whoever is starter really gels with the offense. that state may be more telling as to what is in the coaches minds. so how many reps for heaps with the offenseive ones and how many for nelson? anybody want to look into it. :D

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I think the reps or at least the series with the ones on offense have been pretty even through camp. It probably does make more sense to give more reps to Heaps against the ones to get him up to speed sooner.

After watching this morning's practice I think the offense is very good and will be difficult to defend with either QB. Both QBs have shown the ability to move the ball. I'm also convinced both QBs will see a lot of time this year. I think we're going to be platooning at least through the first four games. I could see Jake getting more time as we get into conference play.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I also think that those who went to practice thinking Riley was a poor thrower, probably came away thinking he was better than they thought he would be. They may also have a little more confidence in his abilities to run the offense.

(8.4x
..................ATT
CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

kitic77 wrote:I also think that those who went to practice thinking Riley was a poor thrower, probably came away thinking he was better than they thought he would be. They may also have a little more confidence in his abilities to run the offense.
I went into practice with an open mind. I do think Nelson is a pretty good thrower. But I think Heaps is a better thrower. Notice I only said thrower. I haven't picked a pony yet. I need a few more first hand experiences before I make my decision. (As if my decision matters.)

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by QuarterbackU »

And tomorrow i shall give my decision!! :D

This is fun stuff! Loving the reports and love what you all had to say. I recently moved to California from West Jordan and I'm really hurting for some BYU football right now....Dang it!!

I just hope we keep giving the ball to Quezada to get those fumbles out of the way. He needs to crap beat out of him if he's going to play effectively for us this year.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

One thing I liked that I saw was the QBs seemed to be taking good care of the ball. I saw one throw that Jake forced, and one poor throw that should have been intercepted if it wasn't dropped. I saw one throw into double coverage by Riley that should have been better defended and possibly intercepted as well.

To me, it seemed like the QBs weren't forcing things or looking to make plays that weren't there. If BYU, with it's young defense, can play safely with the ball on offense, they can help protect the defense.

I got the impression interceptions won't be more of problem than they've been the last few years. I expect about 15, which is very manageable.

Now, if we can just get a handle on running back fumbles.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

jonnylingo wrote:
Mars wrote:
kitic77 wrote: Fall Camp Stats:
Heaps: 39-61-2-454, 7 TDs, 157.76 rating, 63.9% complete. 9 TD drives, 1 FG drive.
Nelson: 30-49-0-373, 8 TDs, 179.04 rating, 61.2% complete. 9 TD drives, 4 FD drives.
Heaps: 12 series against the 1st-team D, 1 against the 3rd-team.
Nelson: 5 series against the 1st-team D, 6 against the 3rd team.
:bug:

Heaps also led the team to 2 rushing TDs and 2 missed field goal attempts.
Nelson has thrown 2 INTs in fall camp, though reporting 0 officially in 11x11s is technically correct as well.
Nelson also has 3 fumbles and 8 sacks to Heaps' 0 fumbles and 3 sacks.
Good research mars. now run the numbers for which offense they ran with... so how many reps for heaps with the offenseive ones and how many for nelson? anybody want to look into it. :D
Yeah, I haven't paid much attention that that at all. Heaps seems to go O3s vs. D1s more, and Nelson seems to go O1 vs. D3s more, but I haven't logged the numbers.

I do wonder if Heaps would have 50% more yards if he had ran against the same units Nelson had, and if Nelson would have 50% less yards if he had ran against the same units Heaps had. Those notes make it seem like Bronco, Doman, and Anae are extremely interested in keeping the QB competition looking close for as long as possible...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

A 50% increase or decrease either way would be highly unlikely for either QB.

(8.4x
..................ATT
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I've been looking; has anyone seen any results/reports from the afternoon session?

(8.4x
..................ATT