Who Starts at "Will" LB?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Who Starts at WLB?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:09 am

Jordan Atkinson?
14%
Jameson Frazier?
18%
Kyle Van Noy?
59%
Jadon Wagner?
5%
Alani Fua?
5%
Sae Tautu?
No votes
Zeke Mendenhall?
No votes

Total votes: 22

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Who Starts at "Will" LB?

Post by Lawboy »

The kid is a freshman, and has made spotty choices in the past. I think the maturation process is just that--a process. Guys do not just get it over night. But he has a unique opportunity to be a special player, so I hope he puts the time in to improve himself. For all we know, much of his issues stem from classwork, not on the field play or ability to learn the schemes. That was the case in the spring, so perhaps he is being sent messages now again regarding that and how BYU takes the classwork seriously. Just because he might play does not mean he can slide with the student part of the equation. Don't want another Tonga scenario, or Afutiti, etc. so gotta get this sorted early. My bet is it is all about academics. Because his on the field play thus far has been impressive, by all accounts given.

byutx
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byutx »

This situation isn't so different from Pendleton last year. Neither KVN nor Pendleton are mental giants by any stretch. In fact, Grant Nelson played quite a bit even when Pendleton was good to go because he was still getting the D down and figuring out his responsibility. My guess is that there will be some growing pains, but that KVN will be the guy by the end of the year, just like Pendleton was in 09.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

gmj81 wrote:The WILL as specifically pointed out by Bronco, is a rush-LB. As such, I see very few who could do it as well as KVN. The stats so far in camp back that up. Also keep in mind that he has played a lot of SAM so far this fall. If the coaches left him solely at WILL, I'd have no doubt he would start, especially with the Atkinson out with injury. I like the emergence of Frazier but Pendleton was quoted as saying he needs to learn how to carry his new weight around a little bit more. As such, I just don't see how he could be a good QB terrorizing WILL. I think he'd be better off backing up Pendleton at SAM where his assignment-soundness would be better served, at least until he gets his quicks back.
This is through the 1st 4 practices (with Atkinson and Wagner not playing):
LB Kyle Van Noy 3 sacks, 1 tackle for a loss, 1 bat-down
LB Jameson Frazier 2 sacks, 1 blocked PAT

I would start Jameson against Washington at the moment. Frazier was with BYU last year and knows the schemes better, and seems to be producing about the same as Van Noy. I like what I'm seeing from Kyle on the stat sheet right now though.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

I'm pretty sure he was a WR last year, so he has barely if any edge over Van Noy, except for "program experience". Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and unlike some, love it when we have walk-ons who play their way into the 2-deep, I just think that currently, KVN has a higher ceiling and is on his way to starting at WILL. Obviously, there's a lot of camp left to be played yet though.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

gmj81 wrote:I'm pretty sure he was a WR last year, so he has barely if any edge over Van Noy, except for "program experience". Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and unlike some, love it when we have walk-ons who play their way into the 2-deep, I just think that currently, KVN has a higher ceiling and is on his way to starting at WILL. Obviously, there's a lot of camp left to be played yet though.
He was not a WR last year. He has always been with the LBs. His only action last year was some spot special teams stuff IIRC.

You might be confusing him with JD Falsev redshirting last year?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

My wife's brother served with Jameson in the Montreal mission and says he is a good dude. He was an LB last year. If Atkinson does not play, I suspect he and KVN will platoon the position most of the year. Bronco tends to value experience in his LB group, but neither guy has any.