BYU's Independent Schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU's Independent Schedule

Post by byufan4ever »

If we go independent, how many schools would we need to have long term deals with because we don't want to be scheduling 12 new games every year or every two years if we do two-game series? Which schools would those be? Look at Notre Dame's schedule and they're constantly playing the same teams every year.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/futu ... future.htm

Notre Dame, BTW, is close to adding a four-game serious with Texas.

I think that we would need at least 4 long term deals (Utah, Utah St., TCU, Boise St.), but not more than 6 or 7 because we don't want to be locked into a bad deal.

Wouldn't it be fun though to be an AD of an independed school? A lot of power...and pressure.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

byufan4ever wrote: I think that we would need at least 4 long term deals (Utah, Utah St., TCU, Boise St.), but not more than 6 or 7 because we don't want to be locked into a bad deal.
I would imagine long-term home-and-homes with:
Hawaii, Boise State, TCU, Navy, Air Force, Army, Utah.
2-and-1s against USU. 1-and-2s against Notre Dame, if that's what it takes.
A home opener against a different semi-local or highly-rated I-AA team every year.

That leaves 2-3 games a year for top-end non-BCS teams like Fresno State, Nevada, Houston, UTEP, and SMU, for the occasional location game like UNLV or SDSU, and for any BCS team we could get (primarily from the Big XII, like Texas, Baylor, or Missouri, secondary from the PAC-12, like Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA).

I would imagine us playing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games (including early morning Saturdays if we could get on CBS somehow), but very, very rarely (if ever) and other day of the week. Mainly on ESPN2 and ESPN (though sometimes BYU-TV, ESPNU, ESPN360), and CBS-CS/Versus against MWC teams, CBS at Notre Dame.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Mars wrote:
byufan4ever wrote: I think that we would need at least 4 long term deals (Utah, Utah St., TCU, Boise St.), but not more than 6 or 7 because we don't want to be locked into a bad deal.
I would imagine long-term home-and-homes with:
Hawaii, Boise State, TCU, Navy, Air Force, Army, Utah.
2-and-1s against USU. 1-and-2s against Notre Dame, if that's what it takes.
A home opener against a different semi-local or highly-rated I-AA team every year.

That leaves 2-3 games a year for top-end non-BCS teams like Fresno State, Nevada, Houston, UTEP, and SMU, for the occasional location game like UNLV or SDSU, and for any BCS team we could get (primarily from the Big XII, like Texas, Baylor, or Missouri, secondary from the PAC-12, like Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA).

I would imagine us playing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday games (including early morning Saturdays if we could get on CBS somehow), but very, very rarely (if ever) and other day of the week. Mainly on ESPN2 and ESPN (though sometimes BYU-TV, ESPNU, ESPN360), and CBS-CS/Versus against MWC teams, CBS at Notre Dame.
This is about how I've imagined it.

I don't want to say such a schedule would be "easy" (because heaven knows the hell it would still be to schedule), but this certainly wouldn't be impossible for BYU. We have a great relationship with many of those schools.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care