I hate the idea of independence

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Bluma
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I hate the idea of independence

Post by Bluma »

So you want BYU to sacrifice millions of dollars in potential TV, ticket sales and other income, just so we can have another copy of a MWC plaque with names of teams that generally average anywhere from 40-100th in the country annually in the final rankings?

If it's just the trophy the team needs, make up some trophy for "BYU excellence" or a smaller group of teams that we play regularly, like the service academies have (Commander-in-Chief trophy).

allcoug
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by allcoug »

Bluma wrote:So you want BYU to sacrifice millions of dollars in potential TV, ticket sales and other income, just so we can have another copy of a MWC plaque with names of teams that generally average anywhere from 40-100th in the country annually in the final rankings?

If it's just the trophy the team needs, make up some trophy for "BYU excellence" or a smaller group of teams that we play regularly, like the service academies have (Commander-in-Chief trophy).
We already have 'The Boot' award to the winner of the Utah State/BYU game. It has about as much meaning as a MWC trophy.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

allcoug wrote: We already have 'The Boot' award to the winner of the Utah State/BYU game. It has about as much meaning as a MWC trophy.
That's the wagon wheel. The boot is CSU-Wyoming.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Isn't there a Beehive Boot that goes to the best in-state record between BYU, Utah and Utah State?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

kitic77 wrote:Isn't there a Beehive Boot that goes to the best in-state record between BYU, Utah and Utah State?
You win this round.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

What the hell is a boot or wagon wheel? I think this proves my point. These things are stupid

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

jonnylingo wrote:What the hell is a boot or wagon wheel? I think this proves my point. These things are stupid
No, these things are what college football is about. Teams all over the country play for screwy trophies like wagon wheels and boots - regardless of whether or not they have a shot at the crystal football. It's this kind of passion for otherwise meaningless contests that makes college football the greatest sport in the world.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?